a small excerpt

A word of advice for those who wish to hear this; it will sound like bushwa, nonsense of the highest order. If you choose not to believe, then I ain't judge 'or care. After all, you're not my responsibility. 

If you do choose to believe, then good on you. You may stand a chance. 

There was nothing really that made the night different from the regular old nights. There were sirens, sure, but ain't nothing different. A few ladies here and there giggling on the arms of dewdroppers who'd ditch 'em the minute they said "ring".

I lit a cigarette, leaning against the wall. Harlem, by Tillie's, where the paths split. That's where I was told, see, that I'd meet 'em. Nobody who lives in Harlem and has a head would dare tattle. And of course what's the folk without some sorta symbolism? I squinted up at the moon, it's bright face full of light, and a few stars houndin' it. 

"O'Kearney?" a voice whispered. I turned. Sure enough, not a clear speck of face, just cloak. 

"That's me."

They were still as stone, like time froze around them. Even the wind didn't dare disturb. I'd never get used to that, that statue-like manner. 

"The Fox of Tethbae. Let us hope you are as clever as your predecessor."

They finally moved, turning to the path. I stood up straight, dropped the cigarette and stamped it. They simply waited at the crossroads. 

"Which way do you choose?" 

I sighed. Left had never failed me before, and I hoped it wouldn't fail me now. I strolled down to Lenox Avenue, with them in tow. I couldn't make out much of their face, just a glimpse of a mouth, curved upwards. From the clubs I could hear blues, shouting and cheering. Just people having mindless fun. I was glad. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

"Yer not much of a talker, are ya?" I tried to make conversation with the stranger, despite my better judgement. 

"I can hear home in your voice." they replied, their own voice smooth and silvery. "It's tainted, but it's a comfort to know you've not lost the tongue of Emerald."

I rolled my eyes. 

"I am also pleased to see you have not been, what you would say, bumped off or rubbed out." they seemed to chuckle slightly. 

"A catch like me? Never."

After a few more exchanges and walking, we arrived. The forest was dense, and pitch black. I swallowed. No turning back now.