Beneath

The color red. As far as the eye could see--  the color red. An apple? A flag? Blood? No, a terrestrial planet in the solar system Epsilon Eridanus. The ground is red, the skies red, the very composition of the air is red. To any life form on Earth, this environment would be a competitor for hell itself. But this isn't inhabited by anything on Earth, no. This planet is colonized by a subterranean race of intelligent insects, the only English word close enough to describe these beings. Their shells hard as steel, suited for carrying tons of pounds of soil on their backs, if it fall on them. They have evolved along many other species on this planet- the amphibious land fish, the fllying bird sacs, the circled ground bears- but these insects, or "Infrax", as humans would later call them, are the most intelligent and dominant species on this planet.

        At the time, Earth was merely a planet housing a similarly dominant and intelligent race of a species called Homo Sapiens, or Humans. Not special in anyway, shape, or form, just another life form on another planet in another solar system in another galaxy in another sector in another reality. These humans took a very long time caught up in their emotions, arts, and philosophies; the Infrax had a much more, real, goal. It took up to the year 1977 until these humans reached out to the stars. A spacecraft named "Voyager 1" was sent to the far reaches of the galaxy in an attempt to communicate with other life forms, even giving them their position. This may have been the biggest mistake of their lives.

                                 ***********************************************

        "Chifim, what are the workers doing?", the Infrax asked to his brother, Chifox, in a language communicated by the moving of the appendages behind the translucent skin of their face. They are two of the managers for the underground soil energy treatment, a new form of energy in an attempt to be able to replace their former form of energy, live land fish babies.

        "They're looking into of the deposits, it seems.", Chifox signaled. "What is that! They seem to have unearthed something from the soil, it looks like a metal, but refined. Not an ore."

        "Could it be an artifact from the Ancients?", speculated Chifirm. Chifox responded-

        "Highly doubt it. The Ancient's died out from the asteroid hundreds of years before where we are in the soil now", Erosion on the planet of the Infrax, Intrafrax, did not occur because of the adhesive properties of the soil. The only things with the ability to move the soil are the Infrax themselves and asteroids from space, Intrafrax being the only planet in their solar system. Chifox began sliding (with the thousands of legs beneath his body) towards one of the automatic tubes going down towards the soil quarry, where the object was. Chifox put up the sign for "Move away from the mining area" and approached the object. He exclaimed-

        "It's a foreign spacecraft!"