SECOND.

Eunice's POV

"Eunice, our dinner!"

Donghyuck groaned from the windowsill while feeding a bird. "There goes your stepmother. Don't worry, I won't go anywhere." He said and gave me a grin. I left my bedroom and started preparing their individual trays.

When I exited the kitchen, I saw the three of them sitting on the dining table. It was kind of unusual since they don't gather like this in a usual Friday night. I placed each of their tray in front of them and excused myself.

Although I was in the kitchen, I can still hear their voices and was able to make out the words they said due to the volume that they used to speak in, "You aren't planning on actually letting Eunice go to the ball with us, right, Mother?"

"Yes! You must be joking." Davina added with a disgusted scoff. I never understood why they hated me so much. When father was present, they treated me well but when he will be off to work, they would let me do the chores and abuse me. I treated them as family yet they despise me.. and I don't know why.

"Don't worry, my dears. You can trash the whole house as you would like. She probably doesn't even have a dress to wear for the ball." Anallina's laughter filled the air. "You are right. All she has are rags. We don't want ourselves to be embarrassed by her choice of clothing."

"But let's be honest, Lina. Even if Eunice is covered in rags, you can't deny that she is pretty. That's why she can't go with us. She might steal the spotlight!" A loud thud was then heard and it echoed throughout the place.

"Quiet down," It was Mother. She shortly cleared her throat and said, "I told you, I won't let her go to the grand ball with us. She does not fit in." The chair she was sitting scraped the floor and the sound of her footsteps faded.

Silence took over my two stepsisters for a few seconds before they stood up from their seats. "Mother is right. Eunice, clean the table!" Anallina commanded before she left with Davina.

I went to pick up their trays and washed the dishes and cups, thinking about what they said about me. Beautiful? Me? They must be saying things. Each time I look at the mirror, all I could see is a girl in worn out clothes who dreams for a hobby.

I never had the chance to look extravagant in any dresses or try new trendy hairstyles because they always had a chore for me to do. I just hope they would be more kinder to me. It would mean a lot.

After I was done cleaning, I went back to my room and saw Donghyuck wrapped around his blanket, still sitting on the windowsill. "You should close the windows now. It's quite cold." I said and looked at the gown I am going to wear tomorrow night.

"I will." He shortly replied and stared at the sparkling stars displayed in the sky. I looked at Donghyuck and sighed, folding my arms. "Hyuck," He turned his attention to me and raised a brow. "Do you think I'm pretty?"

He nodded and played with his hair. "You ARE pretty, Eunice. You're just not my type. You are more of an older sister than a woman." I giggled. "Don't worry. I see you as a younger brother and a pet." He glared at me and plopped himself down on the other bed I made for him.

I closed the window shut and took one last glance at the dress before settling myself on my bed. It doesn't look like much, like Donghyuck's, but at least we are able to sleep peacefully.

My eyes landed on the picture frame I placed on the bedside table. It was a family photo of me and my real parents. Running my fingers on the glass, I smiled. "I wish you guys were here," I put my hand on my lips then put the kiss on the frame. "Good night."

Hyuck's sudden snore took me by surprise and unconsciously, he said the same. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

•••