suspicious

A/N: This is my entree for the writing challenge held by LilyHemsworth. This was loads of fun to write! Thank you for giving me the chance to be part of it! Love you girl.

Pairing: Tod Higgins x Reader

Warning(s): None

Word Count: 927

Prompt: "You're hiding something."

Tod Higgins was the name that brought butterflies to your stomach

Tod Higgins was the name that brought butterflies to your stomach. He was your best friend ever since childhood. He's seen your worst, he has been there through your breakups, but lately, you've been noticing something. Something terrifying.

You were falling for your best friend.

You knew it was cliche. You knew it was silly. You knew that Tod didn't feel the same way. At least that's what you thought. Julie Buckman had been one of your good friends for a while, but you knew that she was also good friends with Tod. Recently, you've been trying your best to avoid Tod. You've been dodging his calls and told your parents to tell him you weren't home when he'd visit your house.

Tod found it suspicious from the start. He knew that you wouldn't ignore him, especially for no reason. The only reason he could think of to determine the fact you were avoiding him, was frankly because you were hiding something from him. He didn't know what it was, but he was willing to find out. He had put his head together with Julie's and made a plan with her to see if he could catch you at the Buckman's home.

Julie was in on the plan and went with it, wanting you and Tod together was something she wished would happen ever since she saw you two together. Julie had invited you over for a little study session with her, but little did you know, Tod was awaiting for you to enter the kitchen.

"Hey, I'm a little thirsty, aren't you thirsty [Y/N]?" julie asked, plopping her backpack down onto the ground. You shook your head. "Oh well um, there's water in the kitchen if you're thirsty."

"I'm not thirsty though," you said, chuckling lightly afterwards. "I'll get some later when I'm feeling thirsty. Thank you though."

"Well, um, you'd be a real sweetheart if you could go grab a cup of water?"

You blinked and stared at Julie blankly. You exhaled deeply before turning around and heading into the kitchen. You didn't know why she was being so stubborn, but the second you stepped foot into the kitchen, you knew exactly why she wanted you to get her water. There he was, the short, black haired guy who had stolen your heart. You gulped dryly and avoided his gaze.

"Oh, so you're not even going to look me in the eyes anymore [Y/N]?" tod asked, approaching you with his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "You're hiding something." tod accused, narrowing his eyes at you. "What is it [Y/N]? What could you possibly be—"

Tod came to a stuttering stop on his words as he watched you whip around and dash out of the kitchen. He reached out for you, missing you by a near second. Your name was repeated multiple times as you brushed past Julie and ran out of the door. You couldn't look him in the eyes. Those beautiful brown eyes. His soothing voice. It was going to make you break, you knew it would.

You knew if you stayed another second, Tod was going to figure out how you felt about him. Tod froze as the door was slammed in his face. He placed his hands on his hips and shook his head. He swung his eyes over to meet with Julie's. She shrugged, not knowing what to do.

"Does my best friend hate me now?" tod asked curiously, looking back at the door. "Did I do something wrong?"

"I actually heard she's going to Marley's party tonight," julie proclaimed, raising her finger in the air. "I say if you go there, she'll be more than happy to see you there."

Tod nodded, a small smile spreading across his lips. Julie was right. It was final, Tod was going to go to the party and surprise you.

> < > < > <

It took a while for Tod to find Marley's party, but when he found the party with streakers running through the street and lights flashing everywhere, it was obvious from there. He pulled into a random spot on the street and got out. He immediately noticed your beautiful red dress that he had seen you wear to dances in school. Tod casually ruffled up his hair a bit before approaching you. Your back was turned toward him as he came walking up to you. He reached out to tap on the shoulder but paused as he heard the question the girl across from you asked.

"So, is it true that you fell for Tod Higgins?"

You shyly rubbed the back of your neck. "I have, and I'm honestly scared. You know, all my past relationships never end well, and I'm just scared that it's going to happen again with Tod. I feel bad though, I've been avoiding him lately, and I know I shouldn't but...It's just hard to think that I've fallen in love with my best friend."

"[Y/N]?" you heard the all-too-familiar voice say your name. You twisted around, your eyes widening at the sight of Tod Higgins standing behind you. "Y-You love me?"

"T-Tod...I-I—"

Tod placed his hands on your waist, pulling you close to him. His sweet lips clashing against yours. You fluttered your eyes shut as Tod deepened the kiss. He really knew how to kiss. All of your friends in the circle snickered and murmured with each other. Tod ended the kiss and smiled cheekily at you.

"I'm glad you feel the same," tod whispered, pressing his forehead against yours. "I love you too [Y/N]."