The Amazing Fire Girl

"It's been a good match so far, but it looks like our champ is finally going to end it. Lady Snake is done!" The announcer egged on the champ as she stared down her enemy.

Lady Snake was a strong fighter, able to use her long coils to subdue any opponent. Any opponent but Fire Girl.

Without hesitation, Fire Girl lunged forward and dealt the devastating final blow. Lady Snake was out. The champ retained her title, still undefeated.

"Fire Girl is the hottest superfighter right now. Pun intended." Ryan Ronald, a meathead in my school clarified for the class. We had been given the task of creating a video essay on something we were passionate about, so of course he just ripped a video from YouTube and used that. He didn't even bother removing the original channel's watermark. Embarrasing.

Nobody cared, however. Superfighting was the biggest thing and if my classmates got to watch Fire Girl beat someone up rather than listen to the teacher, they'd take it.

"Of course, when I was asked to talk about something I'm passionate about, I had to choose my future wife." Everyone laughed, "I'm not joking. If you look closely at Fire Girl, she can't be out of highschool. And she's part of a local league, so she's got to go to our school, right? Well, I'm going to find her and I'm going to marry Fire Girl. End of story."

My gut clenched. How could he be so openly creepy? He spoke as if he fully believed that Fire Girl was going to marry him. As if she'd even go out with a creep like him!

I looked away as he finished up. I didn't even like this superfight stuff. It was too violent. People could get seriously hurt in the ring and I didn't want to watch it happen.

"What's wrong Megan?" Lilly Martin, the richest girl in my class mocked, "Do you have a crush on Ryan?"

"What? No!" Why would she say that?

"Haha." Ryan smoothed back his hair, "If you bear Fire Girl in a fight, I'll consider it. While you're at it, get a nose job. Your face would look nice if it wasn't covered in a giant beak."

I looked at the teacher, expecting her to punish them.

"Mister Ronald," she said and I widened my eyes. Maybe justice would be served, "Can you please finish your presentation. And you-" she turned her gaze to me, "if I hear you bringing up your 'crushes' again in this classroom, I'll send you to the principals office to discuss the consequences for harassing your classmates."

H-HARASSING?!?! I was the one doing the harassing here?! I wanted to argue, but I didn't. I knew I wouldn't win in this situation. The teachers at my school never punished the rich kids. They only messed with those of us who's parents weren't strong enough to do anything about it.

I stewed through the rest of the class until I could finally go home. I didn't have any clubs and none of the other students wanted me to hang out with them. Of course they didn't.

I walked home, stopping at the dollar store to pick up some milk and bread. I saw a coloring book on the magazine rack and put it with my groceries. My brother Gregory had recently finished his coloring book and had been begging me for a new one. I tried to remember if he needed more crowns, but I reasoned that he could make due until next time.

I payed for the groceries and notices that my funds were getting low. I had two dollars left in my wallet and I knew I had under a hundred dollars at home. Mom's doctor appointment was drawing nearer and I realized that I would need to go back to work.

I walked home, stepping over piles of trash in the street. Someday I'd buy us a big house away from this place, but until I was a legal adult, I couldn't make more than a specific amount at work.

I worked freelance. I would come in whenever I felt like it and they were happy to give me nine hundred dollars for my services.

You probably think you understand what I do and where I work, don't you? Well you're probably wrong. Because nobody knows. Nobody has any idea.

I am Fire Girl.