One

Henry's Pov

"Hey mom" I say as open the door to her car.
"Hey sweetie how was school?" She asks me and starts the car back up.
"Pretty good, I got 97 on my math test" I say smiling
"Wow you are getting a lot better this year"
"Thanks" I say back "what's for dinner?" I ask when my stomach growls
"I'm making chicken and rice but have a snack when you go home" she says. And I pull out my phone.
"Oh I've got a science project due in three weeks and I got pared with a girl Ryan so we need to use the house tomorrow after school, is that okay?"
"Yeah Emma will pick you guys up And I'll ask her to take you to the store and get stuff"
"Awesome, can I ask her to stay for dinner?" I ask and feel my cheeks go red. I look down to try and hide them but it creates even more suspicion.
"Do you like her?" My mom says
"Maybe..." I hesitate
"Awe you got your first crush" she says and my face gets even redder.
"It's not a big deal" I says and she stop talking but occasionally makes kissy noises during the drive.

Once we get home I toss my backpack on my bed and pull out my math homework and my phone. I send a text to Ryan.
H: we can use my house tomorrow if you want?
While I wait for her to answer I start my math. She's texts me back a few minutes later.
R: sounds great, I've got some ideas but no supplies. Can you mom take us to the store?
H: sure I don't think she will mind.
H: and if you want to stay for dinner you can
R: I would love to see you tomorrow😊
I lock my phone and I let out a huge breath. And reluctantly finish my homework.

NEXT DAY

After the lunch bell rings I climb the stairs two at a time and then open the door to the library. I see Ryan sitting at one of the tables by the window writing stuff in a notebook. I sit down next to her.
"Hey so what are some of your ideas for later?"
"I didn't have much, but we could always go really simple and make a volcano?"
"Tommy and Sydney are making one, good idea though"
"Okay" she says and crosses the idea off in her book. "We can do the process of water effecting plants?"
"How can we test that?"
"You split a rose stem into four pieces and the leave it in colored water for a few days and the petals turn into the color."
"That sounds really cool, let's do that" I say "how many roses will we need?" I ask pulling out my notebook to write everything down.
"This says five but Mrs Moore said to have a lot of data"
"Let's do ten so we have to do the project twice" I say
"Okay. Then we need food dye, cups and a knife"
"I have all that at home, but we need poster board markers and other stuff to decorate the poster"
"We should make it bright colors to match the roses" she says
"Okay"
"So do you wanna ride on the bus together?" She says and then stutters "so- so you know we can keep talking about the project" she finishes
"I'd love to" I say and the bell rings and we both pack up our stuff and rush to class.

~On the bus~

"Hey" Ryan says and slides into the seat i saved for her.
"Hi, my stop is the fifth one so it might take a while" I say
"I don't mind, mine is normally last"
"Really that must suck?" I say
"It's not that bad normally I do my homework and then once I'm home I can watch tv"
"I can never do my homework on the bus! I always get a headache from writing while I'm moving" I say and she giggles
"I've never heard anybody have that problem!"
"Yeah I love reading in the car but writing just hurts, I don't know why"
"Well of course you love reading, you carry around that book everyday, doesn't it get heavy?"
"Not really, I guess I got used to having it around." I say and pull out the book from my bag
"It's really beautiful" she says "can I take a look?" I nod and she puts the book into her lap and flips open to the page with jimneycricket. And skims the page.
"I heard the stories of a bug who could talk when I was little"
"Oh yeah how old were you when the curse hit?" He asks eagerly
"The curse hit on my 11th birthday" she says
"That's a nice present" I say
"Yeah I guess, I like it here though!"
"You don't miss it at all?"
"Only my horse" she says the bus pulls up to my stop.
"This is it" I say and we stand up and my friends make kissy noises behind me and I throw a piece of paper at them and they burst out laughing.
"Ignore them, they just want to piss you off"
"Nah they are just joking around"
She smiles and tucks her long blonde hair behind her ear
"Alright" she says and I lead her to my moms yellow car
"Hi mom" I say and open the front door
"Hi, sit in the back I've got crap up here"
"Okay" I say and open the door for Ryan.
"Thanks" she says and blushes
"No problem"

After we get all the supplies and we make the short drive to the loft. We go into my bedroom and we cut up the roses and fill them with the colored water and finish the poster board.
"Wow that was a lot of work" I say and itch my forehead with my finger. And than bursts out into a fit of giggles.
"What?" I question and sits up on her knees and comes closer to me and wipes my forehead. And then shows me the small but of blue on her finger
"You dyed your head" she says and laughs again and this time I join her.
"Oh my god you still look like an idiot" she says and dips one of the paper towels in water and wipes my forehead again.
"It's still my working" she says and I take the paper towel from her hand and try myself.
"No you've got the wrong spot" she says and grabs my hand and moves it towards the bottom right side of my forehead. I look up at her laughing face trying to help me blindly clean my face and without even thinking I lean forward towards her. I close my eyes and bring my lips to hers and for a second I think I've done the craziest thing. And then she kisses me back.

Ryan jumps away from me when we both hear Emma knock on the door. And Ryan's face turns red and she looks back at the project to try and hide it.
"How's it going" Emma asks skeptically.
"Uh pretty good we are just doing the finishing touches." I say.
"Okay dinner going to be ready in 5 so just come down then" Emma says eyeing me.
"Alright" I say and she finally leave the room.
"Sorry about her" I say and apologize for Emma barging in.
"That's okay, so what else should we do?" She says "with the project" she catches herself and I smile at her.
"Glue the conclusion and write our names." I say and hand her the glue stick and I rummage through the markers to find a black one and write me name on the back of the board and then hand it to Ryan and she does the same.
I stand up he board and we step back to look at it
"Wow, that looks really good" she says
"We make quite the team" I say and grab her hand.
"Yeah, we do" she says.
"My moms going to comeback up her if we don't go down soon" I say And Ryan quickly kisses me on the cheek
"So let's go then" she says and I lead her back down stairs to dinner.
Just a quickie!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!