Chapter 1

Fight for Me

Chapter One

June 2011-Oak Park, Illinois – Morning

Welcome to the next novel in the Lexi series, Fight for Me.

Lexi finally came to her senses a couple of minutes later. It didn’t take long for her to remember that he’d had five years and he didn’t make a real move to win her back until now. Everything had to be done on his timetable. He was jealous of any man that came near her. She couldn’t let emotions rule her life. If he wanted her back, she wouldn’t make it easy on him. He was going to have to fight for her. He’d never done that before. Was he up to the challenge? If not, she’d survive. She’d survived on her own for the past five years.

She snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Paige’s voice over the speaker on her cell phone. “I did not know that they were gonna do that. I thought that Michael was just gonna play a couple of requests on the radio. That was amazing! It was so romantic! How can you not melt at something like that?”

“I’m no longer desperate and no longer addicted. I just got a big dose of stress relief. I don’t need any stress relief from him in the near future. He’s gonna have to do better than that. Being together is no longer a foregone conclusion anymore.”

Paige sounded so breathless and eager. “So, how was it? Where did it happen? I want details.”

Lexi took Paige off of speakerphone. “You’re as bad as Abby.”

“Are you kidding me? I’m happy for you, honestly.”

“I was kind of down so I went out last night. I got drunk and ended up going home with somebody. I was out late and I didn’t get back until very early morning. I definitely didn’t get much sleeping done. So, you’re talking to Michael now? Or was that just a scheme of yours to get Mike and me back together?” She backpedaled to skirt her sister away from the truth.

“We just started talking this morning. He called to tell me to call you to turn the radio station on. He also told me about the flowers. We didn’t talk about much else.”

“I can’t believe that the two of you are gonna throw away an seven-year relationship. This is so wrong. You two need to try to work it out.”

“Mike is calling me. I’m gonna put him on three-way calling.”

“Don’t you dare, Paige! Paige Michelle McKenna, don’t you dare put him on the phone!”

“Good morning, darlin’. Did you like your surprise?”

“The roses are lovely. It was nice and unexpected. I’m not gonna watch that DVD right now. Thank you for the songs. Look, I’ll be honest. I’m feeling very pressured right now. I don’t like how that feels. This is my life. I have a life here in Oak Park that I love. I’m not gonna move away from my kids for a relationship that isn’t even stable. We are just a fling. Until you can prove to me that we’re more than that, I’m not gonna talk to you anymore. I mean it! No tricks, no hearts, no flowers, no poems, and no music. I think that we should continue to see other people. I went out on a date last night and I’m going out again this weekend. You can do what you want. Goodbye, Mike.”

Lexi ended the call with Paige and Mike. Her cell phone started to ring again. “Grand Central Station.”

“Hey, girl! I heard that Mike pulled out all the stops this morning.”

“I don’t care anymore. I told him that I’m done. You can have him back, Kim. Danny’s gone. I’m not coming back. You should try again, at least for the sake of your kids.”