Prologue

I paced anxiously, looking at the clutch of eggs. The light of the moon shone on the partially-transparent silver eggs, reflecting on the smooth, thick shell. 'C'monnn...' I thought, pausing in front of the two eggs. The nests of black stone was all over the clearing, mothers and fathers all over awaited for the exact time to come, blood moon. It was incredibly close to the time that the moon had turned scarlet red, were all eggs would hatch. I sat down next to my mate, who was looking up at the moon, calculating something.

     "Nearly time," my mate whispered, pressing her head against my Long neck and twining her tail with mine, "not much longer to wait," her smooth, velvet scales pressed against my spiky wolf-grey ones. I smiled and brushed my wingtip affectively with hers.

      Dragons all over the clearing was muttering and calculating the moon's path. Cold winter air blew harshly from the sea, and the withered trees provided horrible cover. The whole group had to work all day to clear to snow so we could allow our eggs to hatch. Fires were lit under the stone nests to keep the eggs warm as possible. If an egg was covered from the moonlight, the egg would not hatch and may even die. It was just a risk we had to take. Earlier, at moonrise, all mates had sliced their palms lightly, then rubbed the eggs with both parent's blood, to remove the layer that protected the egg from dying so moonlight could shine through and tempt the egg to hatch. Which, if the dragonet wasn't strong enough, would refuse. 

    "I-," I started as red light bathed the clearing, all of the murmuring dragons fell silent as the eggs glowed bright red. I whipped my head to turn my attention to our eggs, which were shaking  violently. Thin, white lines, started to form on the larger egg, which, within seconds, burst. A small, mess of scales and claws came out. I looked closer, "it's-"

      Before I finished my sentence, the dragonet looked me in the eye, and latched it's teeth into my throat.   

Sorry for the short chapterrr! I promise (99%) that the next chapter would be at least 2 times this length! (Maaayybbeee 3 times)