Perfect Partner

Author's Note: This is a completely gratuitous story written for Zamasu Day 2020.

- - -

Flawless. Perfect. Divine.

In a timeline where Black and Zamasu had fused and maintained their beautiful form, defeated the Saiyans who had come from the past to stop them, and snuffed out the last remaining mortals in the multi-verse . . . everything was perfect.

Zamasu had made his rounds throughout the cosmos, revisiting old planets which he could recall were beautiful. Still, no matter where he looked to make his permanent home, he always found himself coming back to planet Earth in Universe Seven. He would trudge back into the familiar cabin and make himself comfortable in the familiar bed. This place just held too many memories that he was not yet ready to part with.

And so he had decided to remain on Earth, at least for now, and enjoy the proper beauty of the planet's nature.

He could not recall just how long it had been since the last mortals had been exterminated, but long enough that nature had begun to reclaim her territory. There was something poetic about a toppled man-made structure covered in vines and brush. Eventually this world and all of the other worlds would be unrecognizable from their former appearances.

"Just as it ought to be. Justice has finally been served." Zamasu chuckled to himself as he gazed out over the sea. "Even the water has become clear whereas it had been murky and gray before. If only those ignorant gods could see these worlds now. Would they still claim I was wrong in my way of thinking? Would they still claim we ought to lead the mortals by the hand for many millennia even though they would do wrong again and again until the end of time?" His words grew angrier as he rambled on and he had to take a deep breath and close his eyes to calm himself.

What sense was there in becoming angry over something that was gone? He had succeeded and the cosmos were now born anew. "A beautiful existence to be enjoyed by myself and the remaining non-sentient life. I will have to keep watch so that new sentient mortals do not rise up throughout the ages. Never again will they run amok – not under my rule." Again he laughed, this time a bit louder, "Though a part of me does miss the pitiful looks in their eyes as I cut them down. Well, it is inevitable that a crop of them might spring up and then we can-" He stopped himself, "A-ah, not we. There is no 'we' anymore."

Furrowing his brows and sighing softly, Zamasu made his way back to the cabin. It was strange to be there alone. He loved to talk and yet there was no longer anyone to listen. It bothered him more than it ought to, really, and he had even gone so far as to consider creating a companion for himself. But of course . . . no one would ever properly understand his ideals and what brought him joy. The ideal companion was only himself.

"Those Saiyans really did make quite a lot of trouble for me. In the end, I won. Justice was on my side. No doubt it is because I was the one serving the greater good. Still . . . to think Zamasu and Zamasu had to go so far as to become one being to defeat them . . . it will likely irritate me to my very core for many years to come. If only they had not been forced to fuse . . ." Zamasu stepped inside the cabin and stood for a moment in the livingroom area. The day was still young, the sun high in the sky, and yet he did not know what to do with himself.

. . . and then his eyes fell upon that little black box. He'd gazed upon it many times before and contemplated toying around with the Time Rings inside. They would not allow him to travel to the past of his current timeline, but . . . "The other timelines." Zamasu hastily snatched the box off the shelf upon which it sat and then took a seat on the sofa where he opened the box. Inside were the Time Rings left behind by the Zamasu of this current timeline. "The silver rings are for the main timeline." He recited the words he'd heard from Gowasu all that time ago. "The green rings appear whenever alternate timelines are created."