Mundane

{ One }

"Savana Nicole Mason, please report to the principal's office. Your parents need a word with you." Principal Shadow announced to my whole 4th period from the loudspeaker.

I mentally cursed my parents. They chose some of the most inopportune moments of my life to pop in and see me, I thought as I packed my notebook and other belongings into my bag.

I took the hall pass hanging by the classroom door, and waved farewell on my way out. When I passed by the trophy case, I checked my brassy blonde pigtail braids and my black overall skirt paired with my soft pink mini crop. I caught the shimmer from the studs on my bag and the hall pass swishing loosely around my wrist.

I felt my phone buzz in my bag and slid the zipper out of the way so I could check my messages. Our school didn't have cameras, strict guidelines, or uniforms for that matter.

NEW MESSAGE
Drake: Hey babe, we still on for tonight?
Me: I dunno, let me see why my parents are here...
Drake: yikes, hope it's not world war 3.
Me: I'll let you know...

I sighed and tossed my phone back in my bag, as I finished my journey to the principal's office. When I opened the door I saw my parents and principal, all sitting in silence waiting on me to join them.

"Why's everyone look so serious?" I asked as I sat between my parents to look at the principal.

My mother turned to me and frowned. "It's your uncle Red, he was hit by a semi truck, There were no survivors." she sobbed at the last word.

My father placed his hand on my shoulder so I turned to face him. "We were just telling Principal Shadow the details of the ceremony..." He paused to give me a look. "and that we will be gone for about 15 days to make sure Aunt Ellen is taken care of."

I looked down at the ground and crossed my arms over my stomach, as I processed the sad news. I felt tears swell in my eyes as the principal continued the conversation.

"We will make sure your assignments are available to be done remotely and send a link to your student e-mail. I'm so sorry for your loss."

My mother and father each thanked him separately, before they each cupped one of my shoulders and helped me to my feet.

I nodded at Mr. Shadow silently thanking him, while feeling speechless and helpless.

I walked with my parents down the hall and out to our car quietly, as I tried to tell myself the look my father gave would be explained once we left school grounds.

In all the events that transpired in the following months, this one became the hardest to recall. The most important thing I remember is hugging his lifeless body goodbye for the last time, and that it hurt seeing him so void of life and energy. And it's taken me so long to write about it. For these reasons, I'll be skipping ahead now. 

{ Two }

After returning from Aunt Ellen's house in Tennessee, I had 3 weeks until graduation. My friend Liv wanted me to party, get out of my head, and 'Liv a little' , so she planned a bonfire at her family's cabin for her birthday next weekend.

Liv's green eyes lit up as she was about to dive into her party plans, when the first bell rang. She tossed a goodbye over her shoulder rushing off to her next class, eager to see the 'hot' new Chemistry teacher.

I decided to stop by my locker and check my phone, my first class was close enough to it. Besides, I still had a few minutes before the late bell rang.

NEW MESSAGES
Liv: Meet during break or lunch?
Drake: I'm sorry for what I did while you were out of town.
Kelly: WE'RE COMING TO SEE YOU AT GRADUATION! MAMA SAYS WE WOULDN'T MISS IT!