One: 001 Day After Itaewon Outbreak

Beep Beep Beep Beep

"Mmph. . ."

Beep Beep Beep Beep

"No," she groans.

Her blinds are drawn shut, gray light seeping through the fabric. Shadows dance across the room while her covers rest in heaps on the floor. The woman rises, her brown hair standing up in all directions, little strands floating up from her head. She checks her phone, clicking the power button on the side and squinting as the blue-white light blinds her momentarily. Birds are chirping outside while cars whoosh down the streets as millions rise and begin their day.

The tea pot whistles on the stove as she stumbles around her kitchen, putting together a light breakfast. She flips the dial off, listening as the whistle dies down. As usual, she ends up on the couch, a mug in one hand, and the remote in the other. The upscale apartment that she's only just moved into is only a few blocks away from her office, right in the heart of Seoul. It's all straight lines and sharp angles across a space of four rooms: an entry hall and kitchen, a living room, a home office, and a bedroom. Hard for the average citizen to afford, but then she wasn't the average citizen. Kim Seojeon was the first female Spokesperson for the Daehan Liberal Party. Forty three years old and tough as nails, she'd risen to the top, and she wasn't about to let a stupidly long commute from her old flat slow her down. Not when the opposition was constantly trying to torpedo her based off of her decision not to marry or her decision not to have children.

"Sources close to the president have confirmed the Capital Defense Command was activated last night, and eyewitness accounts indicate the presence of rioting on an unprecedented scale in Itaewon last night."

Kim furrows her brow as she listens to the news reporters calm and professional voice.

"The government has denied anything serious occurred in Itaewon, despite the appearance of widespread fires and the sounds of gunfire which many residents have reported since last night."

The bathroom mirror is still steamy and she hurriedly blends pale makeup into her skin, rolls mascara over her lashes, and carefully traces her lips in a soft red. Done. Her white-cased smartphone pings, the screen lighting up with a text from her driver, followed only seconds later by another text from her chief secretary.

Violence last night. Press crazy. Brace yourself

Kwang was always a short and simple texter. He did, afterall, learn from Assemblywoman Kim herself.

_________

What Kim can't figure out is why there are so many police cars. She even spots the olive green shades of a Military Police hummer. From the seat next to her, Kwang babbles away about current events and the upcoming press conference.

". . . Assemblyman Choi said you should call the incidents last night 'civil disturbances' so I had that changed on your speech. . ."

She cuts him off, turning her head away from the window as the black sedan slows to a halt. "What about Itaewon?"