THE STORM

We like to think life is easy.  We come, we live, we die. The birth is a miracle and dying is peaceful, it's the living part we all suck at. 

He was returning from his job when he realized that he left his laptop in the office. "Oh, Crap!!" was all Carter could say as his voice was lost in the hum of the storm that was starting to build the moment he left his office. He ignited the engine and pushed the accelerator, driving is hard when the air outside is trying to breach your windows at 80 kmph. 

Half an hour later he was standing clutching his coat in front of a building labeled "ZipTech" in glowing bright white lights. The office was closed but office members only need their fingers to enter. He slammed his right thumb on the scanner machine, it took some time for the scanner to analyze the given task but given the raging storm, Carter was glad it was still working.

As soon as he was granted access to the building he felt the stillness of being inside. Everything was dead still inside the office, not a single wind brave enough to travel its way through rows of computers and chairs. He glanced outside the glass windows, trees blowing their leaves in every direction they could manage, people running to find shelter, yellow dirt flying along with the wind as if trying to catch it. Chaos. Chaos is what it is. He moved his eyes from the window and remembered the task at hand. He reached his cubicle and sat on his chair. Suddenly he was not eager to go home. Home is where the family is. His home is empty, just walls. He opened his laptop and started working on his new project. Alone one could exist but not live.

Two hours went by and Carter was still working, of course, he dozed off for a few minutes but that what makes him human. He was looking for water when he saw a woman in a red dress standing alone outside the office gate in the middle of the storm. In the epitome of chaos, she was the only figure which was still, unafraid. Carter get off of his chair and took a step towards the office door and it was then that he realized that the woman was bleeding and the dress she was wearing was not supposed to be red.