Chapter 1- Amnesia

It's hard to continue life knowing that you've met a million people and not a single one remembers your first name.

I ran home today after school. I didn't bother riding the bus I was in to much of a hurry. I was so happy today was quite speacil. It was my first day of school and I wanted to tell my mother all about it. Even though she wasn't my real mother I still respected her and treated her as my own. She was unable to have children so she adopted me. I had only been living with her for 2 years now and she insisted that I start going to a real high school this year instead of being homeschooled. I really didn't enjoy being around people ,but she really thought it was best so I said I would try.

Anyways, I was in such a hurry to get home! I would run down North, to Pine, to Main, then a left on Weaver Boulevard till I reached Koi road. Our house was on Koi road. It was a two story blue house with white decorative trim around the roof and the windows. The porch steps were concrete with old matted down carpet over it. The house was old and it creeked but it reminds me of the home I used to know before, well things changed.

I smiled ear to ear as I pulled open the gate to see my mom look up from her corny romance novel to greet me. I asked " Why do you still read those old tacky books?" She laughed "You'll understand when you reach my old age." She was 43 and was going to turn 44 in September. September was next month though so I already considered her 44. She asked if I was ok. I didn't realize that I had spaced out and was looking at nothingness with a blank expression on my face. I just laughed and said "Just over thinking things." "Well, why don't you head inside and grab a snack then come back out and tell me how your first day went." I laughed to my self thinking I feel like one of those little preschoolers off the "Lifetime Network" from tv that had just came home after their first day of preschool! I walked through the old house creeking with every step till I reached our vintage kitchen. I opened the door to the yellow refrigerator and pulled out a jar of Dill Pickles. They were my favorite. I retreated to the porch and sat criss cross apple sauce on the porch steps. "So how was your day?" I thought to myself for a second "I really don't know what to think." She gave me a concerned look."I mean it's been a long time since I've been around that many people!" She laughed. We talked and talked till the sun began to set. Then she asked a question that struck me on the off side. "So did you see any cute boys you might be interested in?" I whipped my head around "Of course not!" She laughed. "Its getting late we should go in." So we proceeded to go inside. I walked up the stairs to my quite room. There are no words to describe my room. I sat on my bed and pulled out the small shred of homework I had yet to complete. I tried to work but the question arose in my mind why would she ask if I met any cute boys? I knew that I couldn't let anyone in my life like that ever again. I curled up in my bed that night and fell fast asleep.

That night a vivid dream came to me. I dreamt of my old home and my family. I remember my mom and dad notorious thieves in the old world. My oldest brother, Mathew, my older sister, Elisabeth, my older brother, Bear, and my younger sister, Bird. The dream was of the last day I ever saw them. Mom was in the kitchen cooking up salmon from the river not far from our house. Mathew's eyes grew large as he yelled "We have to leave now!" Everyone understood.Mathew was a psychic, so that meant the towns folk we stole from for all these years had caught up to our crimes. His vision was to late though.Here they came over the hills to our abandoned home. I had a unique skill that saved us all that day. I was a manipulator of memory. So that day to save my family and forever keep them safe from their past I had to erase the towns folk's memory of us and my family's memory of me and them. When I did I had to embrace my immortality to keep there memories so they would never know of their crimes or even me for that matter I watched as I disappeared. Then awoke to the jolt of my cell phone alarm clock. Tears streamed down my face as I remember the curse of my immortality and if I ever were to die the memories would return to the people and they would remember what I saved them from and they would forever know my name. I dried my eyes before my mother came and thought to myself I have lived for so many years I can't remember the year I was born in. Somewhere in the 1800s certainly. I was to live now as if the past never happened. No one could begin to comprehend the things I've seen. So I continue as if nothing happened.