Prologue

"(Y/N) get another drink for your step-mother and me!" (Y/N)'s father called from the living room, barely taking a second to glance up from her younger brother, Sam. (Y/N) rolled her eyes, placing down the clothes she was attempting to fold and storming through to the kitchen. "Hurry it up, for Christ's sake!"

This was how it had been for years; her father and step-mom bossing her around as if she were their slave. Her room was basically a cupboard in comparison to her family's massive home. Never was she allowed to speak against them, and very rarely was she allowed to do things that she enjoyed. But she had her book. And that was enough for her. In the time she was granted for pleasantries, she was quite happy reading in solitude. Alone.

But as she stepped into the kitchen, blocking out the noises of her brother's mindless laughter, and pulled two beers from the fridge, small whispers seemed to leak into her mind. Quickly, (Y/N) spun around, kicking the fridge shut with her heel, only to find an empty kitchen.

"What the...?"She mumbled, placing the beers down onto the countertop.

"(Y/N)! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THERE?!"The call made her jump and she instantly shot into action, snatching the beers from the side before racing into the living room. Carefully, she placed the two beers in front of her step-mom and father, clearing some of the other bottles from the table.

"Take your brother to bed. NOW," Her step-mother commanded before taking Sam into her arms and cradling him to her chest and kissing his forehead. "Goodnight, my angel. I'll wake you up tomorrow for football practice!" Sam swiftly ran to his father and cuddled up to him and (Y/N)'s father ruffled his hair before gently shoving him in the direction of the stairs. Both guardians shot the young adult a furious glare as she trailed after her brother.

"Hey dad, I was wondering if I could talk to you about something?" (Y/n) requested timidly as he took another chug of his beer. Her step-mom, Alice, had taken herself to bed a few minutes prior and it seemed like the perfect time.

"What the fuck do you want now?" He growled, slamming his beer back into its place.

"Well, uh, I was- I- um"

"Fucking spit it out then!"

"I sent an application to a university to study Astronomy and I got it!" (Y/N) exclaimed, panicked and clearly on edge. Slowly, her father stood up, eyes narrowed at her.

"You did what?" He hissed, snatching papers from her hand as she pulled them from her back pocket. His eyes scanned the paper and ripping them again and again and again and again. (Y/N) let out a small scream and tried to take the papers back despite them being beyond recognition. Tears welled in her eyes when he threw her backwards. "You will stay here and take care of your brother! Those fantasy stories are getting to your head! He will be going to university. Not you!"

"I hate you! I hate this fucking family and this fucking life!" She yelled and scrambled out of the room, fisting away her tears away as she slammed the door to her room. (Y/N) sat down on her bed, grabbing her favourite book The Fairy King and bringing it to her chest.

"I want to break free. Please. Let me out of this awful life."She sobbed, clutching the book closer to her chest. She remained like that until she fell asleep. But little did she know, four men were watching her, muttering between themselves, hidden just beyond the mirror.

"May, we can't! It's not our order!"

"Our kings said he wanted poor souls, Taylor!"

"I think she would be perfectly satisfactory."

"Thank you, Deacon."

"Pretty little thing isn't she?"

"Hmm, I agree. It's a shame, isn't it?"

"Both of you focus! Now, we must take her to our king. It's in the lap of the gods from there."