Lost Soul

I was in the passengers seat of the musky red '48 Ford "F-Series" truck. Music blared from the high-tech stereo that my best friend had just installed. I had my feet propped on the dashboard, and above my leather cowboy boots I could see nothing but open highway and trees. Dense forests lined the hot asphalt for miles and miles. Cigarette smoke wafted into my face, curling up and out of the window, but not before I inhaled the stench.

"Jake, put that disgusting thing out." I told him in an annoyed tone.

"It's my truck, so I can do what I want." Replied the gorgeous boy to my right in a deep voice.

I turn to him, taking in all of his amazing features. His broad shoulders and the way his muscles are perfectly etched. The nice sculpt of his body under his white wife beater. The way his sun-kissed skin seemed to glow in the soft sunset. The way his dark chocolate hair fell perfectly straight in jagged layers, stopping about an inch off of his shoulders. His bangs always swept to the right, just out of the way of his emerald green eyes that sparkled whenever he was amused.

I watched as he put yet another cancer stick to his full lips and sucked in, coughing out a small puff of smoke. This boy was my best friend, and I loved him more than anything. But I hated his smoking habits.

"You're going to die." I chimed.

"Not for a while, sweetheart." He smirked.

"Yeah you will. You'll bet fat and die."

"What?" He choked out a laugh.

"It'll ruin your lungs so you won't want to do anything and you'll get lazy and so fat that you die."

"Not for a long time. Cute speech, though." He smiled at me and laughed to himself.

"By the way, where are we?" I changed the subject.

"No mans land. Nothing for 140 miles."

"Dear lord." I replied astonish

"Not for a long

"Yeah," He said. "Lane's cabin is about 70 miles now. Good thing its an overnight gig."

After that we rode without talking, nothing but the stereo blaring screamo music at us. It was a long trip, and it was getting darker. I looked in the side veiw mirror and checked how I looked by now. My straight black hair was whipping into knots around my head from the wind of having the windows down. My olive green eyes popped against the black of my make up, and my lips had a red tint from my ChapStick. I could see the bottoms of my cut off shorts, the frays slapping the air as the wind wheeled them around. I dazed off, staring at the trees zooming by.

"What's that smell?" Jake asked suddenly, knocking me out of my daydream.

"I don't smell anything." I replied.

"It smells like somethings burning."

"Your lungs maybe? Because I smell n-" Just then I caught a huge whiff of burning wood. "Yeah, I smell it too."

He looked around for the source of the fire, mumbling something to himself.

"Maybe it's a bonfire someone's having?" I suggested.

"Nobody out here until we get to Lane's house, and he's still an hour away." He replied, distracted. Suddenly he perked up and gasped, "Over there!" as he pointed to a small smoke stack billowing above the trees.

"It's probably nothing." I said.

"Well, I want to check out that nothing." He replied, driving up to the area.