Chapter One "Anna's Childhood"

Anna had a sad childhood. Who doesn't, these days? Her father left before she was born and her mother was on drugs from the day she brought her home.

She slipped right back into her party lifestyle and turned our apartment into an opium den.

Anna walked around in a drug-fueled haze for the first 5 years of her life.

The smoky air flooded down the hallway and under her pdoor and seemed to linger for days.

Anna's mother wasn't a bad person, just a victim of her addictions. When she did have spare money, she would put food in the house and even sometimes buy Anna clothes from Goodwill.

The only pieces of furniture Ann had in het bedroom were a box spring and mattress set and a little blue and white toy chest.

Not that Anna had a lot of toys to put in it, just the 3 she had gotten for birthdays:
one was an art kit, one was a red wagon, and the last, her pride and joy, was a doll named Maia.

Maia was Anna's best friend. They would have imaginary tea parties together, sleep together, take baths together and, sometimes, Anna remember Her doll speaking to her.

Thinking about Maia in adulthood has led Anna to believe that She was a severely traumatized child who was often high on opium and therefore, Anna's memories were extremely unreliable.