Chapter 9 - Interference

"So, we finally meet." Eunbi says casually to their opponents for today. They were lined up for the greetings, both teams buzzing with excitement. Some were roommates, others were training partners, the point being that these two teams were pretty close with each other.

"Good luck to you guys, too!" Chaeyeon says enthusiastically, shaking the other leader's hand. "Let's have a good match!" Both sides look at each other trying to intimidate the other side jokingly but they simply ended up laughing together.

Eventually, a voice projected from the speakers. It was representative Lee. "Alright, everyone. Proceed to your respective sides and prepare yourselves. Not only are the trainers watching, but so are your fellow trainees. You girls have made it this far with your skills, ingenuity and teamwork, and I expect no less than a heated final today. Good luck to you all again!" While everyone is looking at the domed roof, slowly emulating a forest environment, excitedly, Eunbi was nervous. I have to prove myself today.

"Getting cold feet, unnie?" Yena joked.

"Yah, just stick here and do your job." She replied sternly. Chaewon looks on, concern etched on her face. You can do it, unnie.

"Don't worry, Eunbi-unnie! You know that I take these tasks seriously once the match starts. Let me get my kicks in." She says with a laugh.

"Lay off her, Yena. Let's just get in position." Yuri chides, pulling her by the ear away. "Yah, Yah, alright I'm going!" She whines in protest.

~~~~

Across the field, Chaeyeon's team was having a last second huddle-up as well. Like the other team, they were in high spirits at the prospect of facing their acquaintances.

"I'm so excited!" Nako said, jumping up and down. "I can't wait to get it on!"

"Slow down, tiger, you'll be sitting on defense anyway." Yujin teases.

"Yah, defense can be as fun as offense, you know." She responds, but inside she knows that it won't be. The speed and adrenaline you get from going for the flag are not the same as the jitters and nervousness you get defending the flag, being put off by even the slightest rustle in the bushes.

"Hey, Sakura. Get your head in the game!" Chaeyeon said, catching her friend zoning out. It looked like there was something else on her mind.

Follow orders. This is my last warning. Jurina's words echo in her head. She had a task in front of her that she didn't agree with, but rebelling would only get her friends hurt sooner. She decided it was best to follow for now.

"Oh, sorry, nothing's wrong." Sakura said with a laugh. "Just getting a feel for the terrain."

"Speaking of which, so you guys don't get surprised, let's set up the mental link now." Chaeyeon turns to Sakura who nods. "Remember guys, we can't solely rely on Sakura for positioning. Trust your partner as much as you trust her." And with that, a horn sounded in the distance. The finals had begun.

~~~~

"Okay, remember guys. Hyewon and I will target Sakura and Chaeyeon to give you two a path in." Eunbi said, going over the plan again while their group moved forward.

"Why can't I just send some clones out there to do the job?" Chaewon asks.

"Because, it won't be enough to stop her and Chaeyeon. Besides, we need you to be at full power when you have to face off against their defense." Chaewon nods, and motions for Minjoo to follow her as they flank left, disappearing into the foliage.

"Are you sure going forward on offense is a good idea?" Hyewon asks. "We're leaving middle ground exposed."

"Aish, don't you trust Yuri and Yena?" Eunbi takes Hyewon's silence as an agreement.