Memories

A man stared into the dark, foggy distance, remembering memories that didn't belong to him and forgetting the ones that do. The rain poured on his head where he stood on the small balcony, a place he'd often go for some fresh air, except for tonight. Tonight he came to silently scream into the blackness, in hopes that he might find himself, his true self.

Who is he? What is he? A man of faith and power.

What faith? What is his faith worth if he continually allows it to be violated every day?

What power? What does power really mean? Control? What control does he have over his life?

He was living three different lives, and all of them were lies. Though he'd often try to tell which one was the truth...and fail miserably.

But he definitely missed the first one the most. The stability, soundness, security. It was nice. If he thought about it long enough, just for one brief, shining moment he might be able to-

"Jude?"

He turned at the voice of a young girl calling out. Suddenly the rain stopped (as if it never had been pouring in the first place) and the balcony he was placed on turned into a great room. It must have been one of his hallucinations.

"Judah? Where are you?"

Where am I? he thought, I don't know. I truly don't know.

"Sorry." What made him feel the need to apologize? "I was just thinking."

She asked, "What were you thinking about?"

It was like he had to answer, like he had no choice. He felt really close to her, but at the same time, he had no idea who she was.

His mouth forced open, not out of his will, but out of something (or someone) else's. Who or what that something was, he had better figure out soon.

From his lips came the words drawn from the depths of his soul, "I miss my wife and kids."

With all solemnity she answered, "You have no wife or kids. You are fifteen."

Then a question released, in which he didn't realize his mind was begging to ask, "Who am I?"

"You are Judah Black," she stated firmly. "A man of faith and power."

Then why do I feel powerless?