Padh-mee-ni

“Hi Paddu!” Nivin smiled from one ear to the other. It was always fun to have Paddu over. He had never met another woman with the kind of subtle humor that this girl had. Even though, Paddu was his sister’s friend, he had no calms about talking to her as long as she was in their house. But, today, Paddu was not her cheerful self. Akka, walked over to him “What happened?” he asked Akka. 

“Em ledu, gaani. She is not in a very happy mood. Nuvvu nee room ki vellu.”

Nivin did not bother with his sister. He walked over to Paddu “Enduku mood bagaledu? Em Paddu? Nee boyfriend poyada enti?” he said sarcastically. Paddu's chin quivered and her eyes filled with tears. Akka, cleared her throat to get his attention. When Nivin looked at her, she nodded in confirmation.  “Ayya! Neejanga na?!" His concern for Paddu was genuine. He never liked that guy, though. "I am telling you Paddu. It is the best decision of your life. Wadu oka waste fellow.”

“Nuvvu pedda thopu mari. Nee room ki po ra!” Akka chided.

“Hello! Vaadiki ante nenu chala better.” Nivin replied. “Arrre…” He moved from his chair to sit on the arm rest of Paddu’s chair and wrapped his arm around her shoulder  “Mana....mana Paddu tho break up chesthada. Mana …Mana Paddu….”

“Veedu enti ra illa torture chesthunnadu?!” Paddu pleaded with Akka, teary eyed.

“Ninna aa?! Neena aa?! Torture aa?!” Nivin put his hands on his heart. He could not be more astonished at that accusatiin.  “Subaranga naa proposal accept cheyyalsindi. Junior anni cheppi nanu cut chesavu….”

“Nivin, neeku dannam pedthara babu!” Paddu held her hands in a prayer
“Nee vetakaram vintaniki ra ledu mee intiki.”  

Nivin laughed “Chalo. You girls get ready. Drinks and dinner on me!” he announced. 

“Ivvala ekkadasi.” Paddu said. 

“Ayithe?” Nivin and Akka asked, in unison. 

“Nenu utti breezer thagutha.” Paddu replied. 

  🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗

“Hi Paddu!” Nivin waved his hand excitedly. 

“Hi lu, tharvatha.” Paddu whispered, loudly “First, em ayyindo cheppu. Tension lo oka whole packet biryani thinnesa!” 

“Give the man a hug, babes! Me your colleague now!” Nivin, declared. 

Paddu clapped her hands in excitement and hugged him “Congratulations! Lopala antha sepu unde sariki, I was worried, em ayyindi anni.”

“Aaddaa?!” Nivin smiled “Boss bagaundi. Smile chesindi. Why Single anni  adigindi…” 

“Nuvvu single aa?” Paddu revealed loud enough for the boss to hear. 

“Thanks Paddu.” Nivin's sarcasm made Paddu smile. 

“Sarle pada.”

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗

“Hey! Paddu!” Nivin saw two Paddu’s “You found me. You always find me. How? How do you do that?” he said pointing two fingers, one for each Paddu. 

“You called me, Nivin.” Paddu said, sitting beside him on the step. 

“But, I told you not to come.” Nivin’s head was spinning. It was not often that he got so drunk, But, today, he wanted to get drunk. 

“Yes. You called me to tell me not to come.” Paddu smiled. She gently pushed back the hair that fell on his eyes. “Let’s go inside and talk.” She said. 

Nivin took her hand and put it on his heart “Ikkada, Paddu. Ikkada. It hurts man! It hurts!” he said with a sadness, that bothered Paddu. She had never seen Nivin like this. He was always that jovial person that lit up a room that he walked into. It was hard to ignore this guy and even more hard, not to fall in love with him. And nobody knew that better than her. 

“Sarle. Pada. Lopalliki velli matladam.” She helped him stand and steadied him against the wall, while trying to unlock the door. 

“Why Paddu? Why is it so freakin hard, ra?” Nivin continued “Love lo padina appudu unna happiness, Love lonchi baita padinnapudu enduku undadhu, Paddu? Why? Both the times it is love, kada?”

Paddu looked at Nivin, for that question. She stared at him for a moment, trying to keep her face as blank as possible “Nenu maamulgane siddantam lo weak. Nuvvu thagunnapudu intha complicated questions adigithe, nenu em answer ivvali?”

“Chala long answer icchavu, Paddu. Can you concise it?” Nivin asked, earnestly. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌙🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖

“Hi Paddu.” Nivin greeted with a smile. He came over and kissed her on the cheek. Hung his blazer on the chair and rolled up his white sleeves.  “Did you order anything? I am starving!”

“No. How can you think of food, ra babu?” Paddu was crumpling her saree pallu, anxiously “I am so nervous. I think I will puke.”

“Enduku ra?” He smiled, holding Paddu’s hand “By the way, Sari enti?”

“Ante. Mee parents vasthunaru kada.”

“Mee parents aa?  Full respect aa?” He smiled cheekily “Nanu kuda ‘Yemandi’ antava?” he teased. 

“Antha ledu.” Paddu answered “Edo. Nervousness lo ala vachesindi. Amma cheera kattuko mandhi.”

“Nice.” Nivin hugged Paddu “You are looking maha cute, cheera lo. I almost feel like…..”

Nivin’s father cleared his throat to catch their attention. 

                      Kadha Kanchi Ki
                       Manam Pelli ki
                                 🥰