ECHOES OF FEAR

The park fell into a serene hush as the day began to fade. Only a few people lingered, mostly children, their laughter echoing faintly through the trees. Nyx stood in a quiet corner, his camera poised and ready. The soft clicks of the shutter punctuated the stillness, capturing moments in time.

Through his lens, Nyx saw the sky transform into a mesmerizing palette of colors. The sunset, in its glorious display, bathed the world in shades of faded hot pink. It was a scene of unparalleled beauty, one that Nyx knew he was fortunate to witness and capture. Each shot immortalized the fleeting splendor, a testament to nature's breathtaking artistry.

As he reviewed the shots on his camera, his phone buzzed softly in his pocket. He paused, slightly curious at the sudden interruption, and pulled out his phone to check the notification. It was a text message:

💬 Hello, Nyx. Are you home yet?
💬 Hi, auntie. I'm still outside. Why?
💬 The mailman arrived earlier this morning and had an envelope for you. I slipped it under your door.
💬 I see. Thank you.
💬 No problem. Get home safely, dear.
💬 :)

He realized it might be related to the important results he'd been anxiously awaiting for days. His heart raced with a mix of excitement and apprehension. He decided to pack up his camera and head home, not until his heart leaped into his throat as a hand suddenly yanked his camera from his grip. Before he could react, the thief was sprinting away, the stolen camera clenched tightly.

Panic surged through Nyx, but just as quickly, the scene took an unexpected turn. Out of nowhere, a motorcycle helmet flew through the air, striking the thief squarely in the face. The impact sent the thief sprawling to the ground, the camera slipping from his grasp but at the same time was secured by the helmet's owner, swiftly retrieving the camera and jogging back to him.

"I think this belongs to you." The man sported a striking appearance. His hair was tied back into a loose ponytail, adding to his impressive height and athletic build. He donned a leather jacket over a plain black T-shirt, completing the look with a pair of sturdy jeans, rugged boots, and snug gloves. He was breathing heavily but grinning, and handing the camera back.

Despite his immense gratitude, fear and anxiety overwhelmed Nyx. He quickly grabbed the camera from the stranger's hands, his body curling in on itself, and his head bowed to avoid eye contact. The adrenaline of the moment left him shaky and disoriented just as his mind was a blur of conflicting emotions. Without a word of thanks, he hurried away, leaving the man standing in the park.

Nyx's mind raced with the events that had just unfolded. His heart pounded as he quickened his pace, glancing nervously at anyone who crossed his path, his anxiety making him feel like a target. Each step felt heavier than the last as he finally approached his apartment building.

Without pausing, he pulled out his duplicate key and swiftly entered the building. He practically sprinted to his unit, the familiar surroundings offering a slight comfort. Once inside, he immediately secured the door, engaging the deadbolt first, and finally the chain lock. He stared at the door, stepping backward cautiously, as if expecting someone to break in at any moment. His back eventually met the wall, and he slid down to the floor, trying to calm the storm of thoughts and emotions that raged within him.

His breaths came in shallow, rapid bursts, his chest tight with fear. The occurrence had triggered a cascade of dark memories and haunting thoughts. What if he comes back? What if this time, he showed up with a knife to his throat? What if he succeeded in killing him this time, finishing what he had failed to do before?

Curled up on the floor, Nyx tried to steady his breathing, but the terror was overwhelming. He couldn't shake the feeling that he was always being watched, always at risk. Tears streamed down his face, his vision blurred as he kept his eyes locked on the door. The double-locked door felt like a fragile barrier against a nightmare that might burst through at any second.