Can't Help Falling in Love

synopsis :
2 bestfriends. We all know the story. It's all strictly platonic until one of them starts falling for someone and the other friend gets jealous. Then they start to realise their own feelings towards their bestfriend and, well, you know the rest. But this isn't the happy ending you're looking for. This is the realistic one.

~ chapter 1 : The Start of It ~

"What's up, bigbrain?" Amy shouted as she ran over to Liam, her best friend. Her and Liam had known each other for years, ever since they were babies. They had lived on the same road for as long as they could remember; playing out in each others' gardens; drawing with chalk on the concrete; walking to school together. They were like 2 peas in a pod; inseperable. And it stayed that way for years, all up until they were 17 years old and had other things on their mind. Well, Liam had other things on his mind- other gIRLS on his mind- and Amy just wanted everything to stay the same, for nothing to change.
"Hey, smallhead! You didn't call last night, where were you?" Liam replied back as he started walking slower for Amy to catch up.
"Oh, sorry about that. My mum took my phone so I could study for that stupid exam we have today. Such a partypooper." Amy sighed.
"Exam? Today? What class? Oh nonononono! I'm so dEaD!" Liam cried out as he slapped his face and shook his head.
Amy laughed and told him not to worry. It was just a small class test that her mum had overheard her talk about and made a big deal out of.
"It's not a graded test, Liam. Don't worry."
"Yea, you say that like it makes it better." Liam shook his head.
"Anyways why weren't you studying? Busy, were you?"
"...Maybe."
"Who's the lucky girllll?" Amy teased.
"Oh shut up" Liam pushed Amy and they laughed it off and walked the rest of the way joking with each other.

"OMG. I know who it is. I know who you were with last night!" Amy gasped at Liam and covered her mouth with her palm. Liam had been staring at Olivia all day and was in such a haze that Amy figured it out on herself. It was pretty easy to guess. Olivia had everything; from looks to money to grades. She was like the popular girl who wasn't actually in the popular group. They wouldn't accept her because she wasn't a "rebel" and didn't fit in with the gang. Olivia didn't mind though, of course. She didn't need them. She had the rest of the school because literally everyone liked her. Everyone either wanted to be lIkE her or be wItH her. Because that was just...her.

Amy had always been jealous of Olivia for no reason that she could explain. Sure, Olivia had it all but Amy wasn't that type of girl. She didn't wear makeup everyday and cute dresses and skirts and glittery stationary. Amy had jeans and a hoodie 24/7 and no makeup or cool stationary. She wasn't exactly basic; and in a way, she was still your typical teenage girl. She just wasn't the "Olivia" type.

"What? Go on, smartass. Who is it?" Liam knew that Amy would think of it quick. She was a smart girl and definitely deserved a lot of credit for this stuff.
"Olivia Berret. I know it was her. It's just sooooo obvious. Look at you! You're blushing at the mention of her name!" Amy pointed and waved at Liam's face frantically.
"Stop it! You're making me look stupid. It's not funny." Liam scoffed.
Amy shut up and sulked. Liam rarely spoke to her like that. Only when he just wanted to be left alone. Amy can get annoying sometimes but Liam and Amy were always able to stand each other.

"Anyways, I can't hang out tonight. I'm with Olivia. Sorryyy, I promise it's just today it's not all the time, okay?" Liam looked at Amy for what seemed like permission.
"Yea, sure, go ahead. I don't mind." Amy mumbled.
"Thanks! Great! I'll see you tomorrow, then?"
Before Amy even had a chance to respond, Liam had taken his food and walked over to where Olivia was sitting and hung out with her, leaving Amy all alone, just poking her food with the fork.

That "one time" hangout with Olivia ended up being every time Amy was supposed to chill with Liam. Liam practically abandoned her apart from the occasional walk to school together until he started walking with Olivia instead. The only time they talked was when Liam wanted to get a gift for Olivia or do a romantic gesture and needed advice. Amy, being the nice friend she is, gave that advice. And good advice too. Olivia probably didn't even know of her existence and that made Amy even more jealous. But why? Amy still didn't realise what her heart was telling her. And it was about time she did.