The Ghost Rescuers

Two summers ago, around the month of May, my girlfriend, her brother and I were on our way home from a friend's wedding party. It was already 2:00 am and we were still 30 minutes away from home. It was raining hard and the visibility on the road was bad. It was slippery ride home with my dad'd old Lancer. My girlfriend's brother was so drunk he fell asleep in the backseat.

     Just as we were about to cross a railroad track in Valenzuela, I slowed down as that area is reputed to be accident prone. Three years ago, an accident happened there when a train hit a passenger jeepney stuck in the railroad. The freak accident claimed all the lives of those in the jeepney. Since then, residents near the area claim that the place is haunted and that several unexplained phenomena have been happening there.

     We were halfway through the tracks when the car's engine conked out. "Great, this is just great!" I said, exasperated. I tried on restarting the engine several times to no avail. We were stuck in the middle of the railroad.

    "Andy, you better get the car moving, fast!" said Rowena who was near hysterics as we could hear the roar of the approaching train.

     I had the car's engine going but I couldn't get the car move. We were stuck and stepping on the gas only made matters worst. I was sweating profusely. I'd say it was more of nervousness than the effort I was exerting to move the car to safety.

     "We have to get out!" I said.

     "Okay, but we have to wake up Roy!" Rowena cried.

     We tried to wake up Roy who was still sleeping in the back. To our dismay, my girlfriend's brother just wouldn't budge. He was so drunk that he literally passed out. As we were about to get out from the car to drag Roy out, we realized that the train was just few seconds from hitting us. We were mobilized by fear and our legs just wouldn't move our bodies to safety. We could onlystare at the blinding lights of the train. My girlfriend and I braced ourselves for the impact, waiting for our dreadful fate.

     When all too suddenly, we felt the car move. We were being shoved from behind. Slowly at first, then began to gain momentum. Just as the train was about to hit us, we were shoved into safety. We couldn't believe what just happened. People might have seen our ordeal and helped us. They saved us!

     As I jumped off the car to thank the people who saved us, all i saw was pitch black darness. the rains hadn't let up. No one was in the railroad except for us. I was confused, puzzled.

     I got into the car and retrieved a flashlight from the compartment. There must be someone or a group of people out there, I said to myself. Rowena, still shaking from our brush with death, asked me what was happening.  I didn't answer her as I gout out of the car again to find out who saved us. With the aid of the flashlight, I surveyed the place. No one was there. I finally gave up and decided to return to the car as I was shivering from cold. I was totally drenched by then. As I turned back, the flashlight illuminated part of the car's rear. Something caught my attention. I got near the car and inspected what were the marks on the car's back. I couldn't believe my eyes as I saw marks on the car. There were five or six pairs of them!

     "That was close, who saved us?" Rowena asked from behind. She got out of car, holding an umbrella.

      I looked back and smiled at her, "I don't know." I then traced with my fingers the hand prints on the car, "Whoever you are, thank you." I whispered as I said a prayer.

     By that time, I was almost too certain that the spirits of the train accident saved us from becoming victims like them.

Aya Paredes (Edited by Bing Ramos)

"Ghost Rescuers"

True Philippine Ghost Stories Book 18

Copyright 2006 PSICOM Publishing Inc.

All Rights Reserved

No part of this book was claimed by me. Property of Psicom Publishing Inc.

 No Copyright Infringment Intended