short story

The Blue Necklace

I have always been a mermaid and a human. Every mermaid has her special characteristics, I have a necklace which was passed down to me by my mom. My mom was also a human before she finally became a mermaid.

That brings us to the present, the worse has happened, I lost my necklace after turning human, I initially had 15 days to find it and now it's only three days remaining, before I turn human completely and after another 15 days I die, even if I find the necklace as far as I turn into human completely no remedy can be done.

I have a human bff Lauren, she knows am a mermaid and has kept the secret for three years now.

she was the reason why I went into the human world, it was her birthday twelve days ago, it was also in her birthday party I lost my necklace.

I couldn't face my parents so I have been staying in a cave beside sadko underwater kingdom, that's where am from.

Lauren brings me fish and sea vegetable to eat. She's also helping me look for whoever is with it cause she knows all the people she invited to her party.

I know its with someone because there's a blue glow in my wrist. My necklace has never glowed for the reason I don't know, it's a dull blue crystal necklace.

"Eliza" I quickly stood up from where I was lying on.

"Eliza!" Someone called me again.

"Mom!" I shouted as my mom passed where the cave I was in.

"Oh honey!" My exclaimed as she saw my skin, she understood what's happening for my skin was so pale.

"What are we going to do baby?".

"I don't know momma, Lauren is helping look for the person with it since it got lost at her party".

"Have I ever told you another power of the necklace?" I shake my head.

"Well the necklace helps you find true love, it glows really bright when you meet your true love for the first time and glows forever, its a really powerful necklace." My mom explained

"Its that why it has never glowed?" My mom nodded.

"Oops, its time to leave, we miss you honey, we are going to find the solution" since my mom is a full mermaid she can only turn human for thirty minutes only.

"Ok mom, I love you, tell dad and Zeus that I love them."

"I love you too hun, I will tell them, hold on tight ok?"

"Ok mom."

I watched my mom swim into the water before entering into the cave. I looked at my small clock to see its ten minutes to the next day and it will officially remain two days.

****

Its officially the last day, I have lost all faith, Lauren could not find the neither could my mom find another solution, its remaining one hour only and am fully human then I say bye bye to the world in fifteen days later.

Thirty minutes later.

"Liza, I found the person!" Only one person calls me that.

"Lauren" I said lowly, am becoming weak that I could not even stand up.

Lauren entered the cave with a handsome looking guy. My eyes bulged out of their socket.

The guy was also staring at me, I looked down to his hands and saw the necklace and guess what it was glowing so brightly. The guy started walking closer to me, it felt as if some force were pulling us together and soon enough he was beside me.

We kissed

I feel wanted, desired, appreciated and that's new to me.

A growl escapes from him and his fingers stray into my hair.

We broke apart staring into each others eyes, he's eyes has the most beautiful forest green color have ever seen.

"Hey guys! Its remaining seven minutes" Lauren shouted from where she was standing.

The guy quickly put the necklace around my neck, it was still glowing but not as bright as before. I could feel my head spinning, making me clutch 'the guy's' hand tightly with my eyes tightly closed, my body shakes vigorously as my powers return back into my body.

My eyes opened and I looked the clock to see 12:01, my eyes gleamed with happiness it worked, am still a mermaid and I can be a human.

Lauren was already at the other side of me, I released 'the guy' hand to hug her.

"Am so happy for you Liza" Lauren gushed happily.

"Ok so now, who is this?" I asked pointing at 'the guy'.

"This is Ethan, he's in the same university as me and a good friend of mine" Lauren explained.

"Does he know who I am?"

"Yes" she turned to Ethan and narrowed her eyes.

"You! How come u believed me?"

"I have always dreamt about her ever since and I have also seen everything about her kingdom, let's just say I was shown the merfolk world. At first it was scary but I later understood it and that's why I was believed you and before you ask I found the necklace in my suit when I reached home from the party." Ethan explained

"So do you know why the necklace glowed when we met?" I asked him curiously.

"Yeah, my true love".

As he said that I couldn't have been more happier, I explained what it meant to Lauren.

We all entered the water to my kingdom, humans can enter the kingdom but only if they have the key and only a mermaid or merman has it.

My families were all happy for me. Since I found my love one, I can choose what I want and I made the decision to live like a human but I have to come to the kingdom for a day in every eight month, cause I belong to the ocean.

Every story has problems but I conquered it with Ethan by my side.

Jamilat Olawuyi