7. Kick The Bucket, Stub A Toe

*CLICK*

*CLICK*

He looked at me with confused eyes. Not sure if he needed to try again, he got ready to press the trigger again.

I interrupted, "It's empty."

He took it out of his mouth, tears running freely and burst out crying.

I continued, "You chose right. I never wanted to expose you. Instead of talking to me, you resorted to violent means and harmed someone else in the process."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry — *cough* — just forgive me," he said.

Reducing a grown man into a nervous wreck doesn't particularly leave a good taste in my mouth. It was time to end this. He will never mess with me in the future.

"You will send me my fee in a day or two. I will hold onto this piece of paper incase I don't feel you deserve to live in the future. I am going to use that run-down unused building in the future for storage, so make that happen," I said.

"Yes, yes, anything," he said.

"It is only because you knew my father that you are alive now. Make sure I don't change my mind," I said as I left the office.

It was as long a day as I can take. It was time for me to return home and sleep. Khan chacha's cab was lying in wait because of the lack of customers so he ended up dropping me home. On the way back, I informed Jerry to let me know when we get paid and that I won't be coming to the office today. He was free to leave early.

When I was back home, I wiped all of Lucy's blood off the floor and then promptly showered and went to my room. There I found Omar's backpack filled with books that I wanted to read. He also accidentally brought a book titled 'Adholok - Pocket dimensions'. Which wasn't something I asked for but glad to receive. I emptied all the books and filled his bag with biscuits and snacks that you don't get at Alkapuri.

Then I went straight to bed and found a pack of biscuits in my hand. I guess I forgot to put this one inside the bag. I had some and promptly fell asleep like a log of wood on sleep medication.

*A FEW DAYS LATER*

Waking up to a child's laughter would usually be considered one of the best sounds to wake up to, not today though. When you spend the night taking on a group of thugs to liberate a captured animals, you don't want to be woken up at all. Not even with bird-songs or the sounds of the sea. No sound is soothing enough to be considered pleasant enough to wake up to when you are sleep deprived. Now that I was awake, no point trying to get back to sleep. I went to the washroom, brushed, and had a quick shower before I came back out.

The door barely managed to muffle the conversation my mother was having with some child. I wanted to leave early only to  avoid talking to the guest at home, but Lady Curiosity once again tempted me enough to leave the place of my comfort and check on this unknown visitor.