La douleur exquise

Kiro has always been my friend for the longest time. He's always there for me when I need him. He makes me happy and feel things. Staring at his ocean blue eyes immediately calms me.

I remember one time that I was so down because the company that I am hoping to fund us rejected my request. But I instantly felt better when he came around. The plain sight of him makes me forget all the bad things in life. He's like a ball of sunshine that radiates so much energy that it affects everyone around him.

"Hey, Miss Chips!"

He gave me that nickname when we were 10. We were at the grocery store with my parents and I was wandering alone and found this chips that I didn't know was a limited edition. I just wanted to eat it. I am curious of its taste so I grabbed it. Then a boy started crying.

I stared at him and he continued on crying.

"Can I have that chips, please?"

His voice cracked and his eyes are like that of a puppy when it's not given attention. I find him cute but I don't want to easily give in.

"There are more in the shelf. Go get one," I told him.

"But that's the one I want," he sobbed. "It has the card I am collecting and it's the last one."

I no longer want him to continue on crying so I gave it to him. He needs it more than I do. "Here! I'll get the other one. Just don't cry."

"Thank you, Miss." He stared at me and the chips and at me again. "Miss Chips."

That day, we started to hang out and eventually became friends. Our parents also shared the interest in making friends with each other.

I snapped back into reality when he called me by the nickname twice. "Oh, yeah. What is it?"

"You've been staring at me for a long time and not moving. I got worried." His brows furrowed but laughed when he said, "it seems like you're lagging."

I chuckled and rode on his joke. "You're just too cute that it makes me stop responding."

Then we went silent. The only sound is from the TV. I decided to watch what's on the screen. We were just sitting there close to each other. He decided to speak to break the silence between us.

"So are you busy tonight?"

I almost forgot that I have things to do. It happens a lot that whenever I'm with him, I forgot the world around me.

"I need to work on some movie ideas. But that can wait, what are you up to?"

"Prioritize your work over me. I can also wait. There is plenty of time that you can hang out with me." His cheerful voice convinced me to do my work.

"Okay. But... we'll do whatever's on your mind if I'm free, alright?"

He nodded as a response and turned his attention to the TV. He is watching the drama that I proudly produced.

Kiro and I live in the same house. Both of our parents died a long time ago due to an accident. That tragedy led us to stick together more than ever just like we did when we were young.

I stood up and walked towards my working table located on the corner of the living room. I ran my fingers on the cool glass on top of it. The coldness somehow reminds me of Kiro. I opened my laptop and directly proceed to type whatever that comes to my mind that I know will be of use. I also asked Anna on what her insights are about the document that I sent to her.

I'm at the corner of the living room. I glanced at him sitting on the couch. He's relaxed and laughing. I smiled. After all we've been through; I'm glad that he's still by my side and is always supportive to what my heart's desire.