Mysterious Encounters

“I wonder how bright the moon will be tonight.” I whisper to myself as I trek through the misty, gloomy forest. It smells of the streams that run across the land, dirt, the animals I long to photograph, and trees I long to climb. Today I’m gathering items for a spell I’m conducting on the full moon. All I need now is some moss, a red toadstool, and some water from the stream. And maybe some white birch twigs or bark for good measure. I hum absentmindedly as I pluck at the moss I found surrounding a large oak tree. I smile as I place the moss and dirt clumps in a clear glass jar. I hear birds fly off in the distance, almost as if sounding a warning. Shaking my head at my silliness, I head off towards a stream I hear in the distance. I was so busy thinking that I almost didn’t hear the leaves crunching and twigs snapping behind me. Startled by the disturbance of my thoughts, I whipped my head around and slowly turned my body as I saw a very large, beautiful wolf standing behind me. Its fur reminded me of a red ceramic garden pot  with a light cream colored accents and its eyes were a warm, reddish brown with copper undertones. I start to back away as the wolf slowly approaches me. I suddenly find my legs rooted to the ground. ‘Oh, this is how it ends!’ I think to myself as it gets up on its hind legs and places it’s paws on my shoulders only to lick my cheek. It was a warm, smooth, pleasant feeling. After a few licks it goes back to all fours, barks twice, and runs off. Fear still running through my chilled veins, I tell myself to forget the spell before a whole pack comes along. ‘Sure, this wolf seems friendly enough,  but the others might not be.’ I gather up my glass bottles, both filled and empty, and dash off to my car. ‘Luckily the main path I wandered off of is short and easy to find,’ I think to myself as I find it and book it back to the car to write my experience in my grimoire. I sit in the car and write for an hour or so before pulling my car back onto the busy mountain turnpike. I head home quickly, my mind reeling about my new experience with a wolf and how it happened so quickly. You see, I recently moved into a lovely cottage in the small town of Veridian Valley. The surrounding area was so peaceful I had forgotten about the dangers of the forest.  The house, truth be told, was originally my grandmother’s home before it was mine. After her rather abrupt death, the family was in shambles and I took it upon myself, as the only currently stable person in the family, to visit her house for a last goodbye. After visiting the town for about a week, I couldn’t even think about going back home, I loved the town too much to leave and decided to fully move in. The innkeeper, Lacie, was a kind, elderly woman who helped get my life in order. She helped me with the paperwork and organizing a moving crew for the best affordable price considering that I also paid for grandma’s funeral and care of her remains. After everything was taken care of, I’d had time to meet the entire village. Those people are my friends so far, and my journey has only just begun. Now, as I drive back home, I am happy to have met them. I am happy that, even under such sad circumstances, I could become a part of this wonderful place and just fade right into the background for once. I only drive a short distance before I reach my exit and branch off. Finally on the main road to my house, I sigh and smile at my spell items. It won’t be perfect, but it will be fun!