"Father and Son"

It was quiet when he opened the door to his apartment, stepping over the pair of shoes somebody left in the way.
He stopped in the hallway, listening carefully into the silence. From outside the building he could hear a few birds and the low sounds of speeders passing by.
He bowed down to untie his shoes and carefully them aside to the wall while hanging up the heavy leather jacket, the black fabric warm from the setting sun outside.
As quiet as possible he walked over to the living room. With a smile he spotted what he already expected - Sulas curled up on the couch, still in full clothing, head rested on his crossed arms.

He walked over to the sleeping kid and picked him up, a lightweight in his arms, not much of a problem not even for his injured shoulder. Carefully he carried the young boy over to his bedroom, laying him down on the bed and pulling the blanket over him.
Sulas didn't seem to wake up - or if he did, he wasn't showing it and with a smile Zitron brushed over his forehead.
"Good night.", he whispered before leaving the room, closing the door behind him quietly after turning off the lights.

Back in the living room he sat down on the couch, reaching for the bottle of water standing on the small table and then leaning back, turning on the holo-player.
He didn't know how much time had passed - might just be a few minutes, he had dozen off - when he could hear quiet footsteps approaching and someone climbing onto the couch next to him.
His expression was tired but warm when he lifted an arm so the boy could cuddle up to him.
"Shouldn't you be in bed, you little bastard?", he mumbled with a smile. There wasn't an audible answer but he could feel Sulas moving closer as he put his arm protective around the skinny boy.

With a yawn Zitron closed his eyes again, listening to the silence of the apartment while he drifted off to sleep again.

--------------------------------------------

VERY short story off Zitron and his new son Sulas (who belongs to a friend of mine) :)