Leave with me?

"Do you wanna leave this place with me?"

The question took me completely off guard. Leave? I froze in my spot as I stared at Eugene with wide eyes.

"What do you mean?" I asked, rolling back and forth slightly on the heels of my feet to help ease my nerves.

"I mean let's get out of here," Eugene answered. "I'm sick of this place. Nothing really works out here." His face looked troubled. It must've taken a lot of courage for him to ask me. And me? Of all people? I would've thought he'd have asked Zion or Ethan to leave with him since they're so close. At least, much closer than we are.

I looked him in the eyes and he looked away.

"No, I... I do understand what you mean. It's just so out of the blue." I tried to explain and make him feel less uncomfortable.

"You really didn't think I'd do something like this?" I didn't respond and he looked at the ground again. I didn't know what to say. But maybe he had a point... Things were going wrong left and right here with the building falling apart, running out of food, and people going missing...

I was still so confused as to why he asked me. We weren't very close, mostly because I kept to myself the majority of the time. And I was sure Scarlett made sure to manipulate him into thinking I was the bad guy along with the others before she died.

"Maybe you're right..." I trailed off, waiting for some kind of reaction from him before continuing. He perked up, lifting his eyes to mine.

"Wanna talk more in my room?" He asked and I nodded. It felt like we were too out in the open. And if I was the only person he planned to leave with, we wouldn't want the others hearing anything about this. I followed him down the hall and into his room.

I felt myself grow excited as he opened the door to his classroom. I've never been in his room before and it's not often we're alone together unless we have night watch or patrol. But we hardly talk since we're so focused on the job. Except for that one time when he played me a song. My heart still fluttered every time I thought about it. And I thought about it a lot.

I was surprised to see that his room was rather clean. Sure there were a few wrappers thrown about here and there, but his bed was made and the desks were moved aside gently in rows unlike the ones in my room that looked like they were thrown out of the way. There were even some doodles on the chalkboard in the back of the room.

I didn't get a chance to look at them because Eugene was telling me to sit down. I did as told and we were sitting across from each other. It felt weird but also comfortable at the same time.

"So... Do you want to leave with me?" He asked me again. I bit the inside of my lip and picked at my fingers. "It's not safe here anymore. I don't want to see anything happen to you."

I didn't want to leave all the others. Zion, Harry, Ethan, Hailey... they were our friends. How could we leave them without inviting them or even telling them our plans?

But at the same time, we've all been suspicious that someone here has had something to do with the recent deaths/disappearances. If we decided to leave and ended up bringing the perpetrator along with us, we'd still be in danger, plus with the threat of the zombies.

Ugh! There was so much to take into account for this!

And the whole thing with the person harming us, picking us off one by one, no one had a lead, it could be anyone.

Anyone...

Suddenly, I looked up at Eugene who was still looking at me with hopeful, expecting eyes, waiting for an answer. It couldn't be him, could it? Sure he was whiny and complained a lot and got into arguments with the others sometimes, but could he really be the one doing those things?