Legacy (Marlana)

Fandom: Hannibal

Pairing: Marlana (Margot/Alana)

Prompts: morning/mourning, graveyard

Summary: Alana helps Margot bury and say goodbye to her son. Season 2 missing scene.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Morning came far too early for Alana's taste.

Neither she nor Margot had slept a wink. After Hannibal had disappeared with Will, they'd confronted and killed Mason and planted Hannibal's hair in his fist before rigor mortis could set in. Then they'd carefully avoided the mutilated bodies strewn throughout the manor house and locked themselves in a room to call the cops. It had been surprisingly easy to sound distressed and in fear of their lives over the phone — once the adrenaline had left Alana's bloodstream, so had any previous semblance of calm.

The police had been appropriately horrified when they arrived on scene and "saved" Alana and Margot from their hiding spot. Hannibal had done quite a number on Cordell and Mason's guards. If Alana hadn't been used to crime scenes from her time as an FBI consultant, she might've retched at the sight. As it was, she hadn't needed to exaggerate her reaction, and Margot had pulled off a convincing faint at the sight of all the mutilated bodies and pools of dark blood.

Now, after hours of questioning, they stood in Margot's bedroom, watching strangers in FBI and police uniforms stream in and out of the manor house two stories below. Alana had hoped to feel triumphant, but all she felt was dead on her feet. Her hips ached like a motherfucker. Margot hadn't wiped away the tracks of mascara drying on her cheeks, and she looked as if she'd aged ten years overnight.

Yet they couldn't sleep, not yet.

Margot wanted to bury her son.

— — —

They found appropriate shovels in one of the sheds on the property. It had stopped snowing for the moment, but dark gray clouds on the horizon promised more to come. Their breath solidified in front of them as they trudged through the snow towards the Verger family graveyard. Alana had borrowed a pair of snow boots from Margot, but even then, she needed to lean heavily on her cane to keep from slipping and falling. She carried two shovels in her other hand and used them as a second cane. Margot held the baby to her chest, cradling it as if it were asleep, but the illusion was shattered by the light blue baby blanket wrapped around it like a cocoon.

Neither of them spoke. They didn't need to.

The Verger family graveyard was several hundred feet away from the manor house and stables, hidden from view by a small copse of trees. An elaborate wrought iron fence lined the perimeter. Most of the anterior gravestones were large ostentatious things made of white weathered stone or marble, but farther back, the older graves were mostly marked by small tombstones or simple crosses. A lone crow swaggered through the snow, fixing them with one beady black eye before squawking and flapping away. Alana pulled her scarf closer to her neck. She followed Margot silently through the gravestones until they came to a stop near an old twisted tree by a long stretch of empty snow.

Margot's breath furled out in front of her like pale smoke from a fading funeral pyre. Her green eyes were glassy with grief, distant. "I suppose here is as good as any."

She placed the bundle down gently at the base of the tree and stepped back. Alana held out the shovels, and Margot took one, her gloved fingers lingering on Alana's for a few moments longer than necessary. Then she picked a spot several feet away from the tree and began to dig.