9/11

In remembrance of this tragic attack.  

Sept. 11th, 2001

     It was a beautiful day all around the United States (from what I've heard). The sky was a bright blue, no cloud in sight. Everything seemed normal, but it was just beginning...

     Early in the morning of September 11, 2001, there were 19 hijackers that took control of four commercial airlines. All where heading to California. Three out of the four were heading to LAX while the other was going to SFO. They took off from the Logan International Airport in Boston, Massachusettes; Newark Liberty International Airport, Newark, New Jersy; and Washington Dulles International Airport in Virginia. 

     At 8:46 a.m., five hijackers crashed the first plane, American Airlines Flight 11, into the northern part of the World's Trade Center North Tower. At 9:03 a.m., another five hijackers crashed another plane, American Airlines Flight 175, into the southern part of the South Tower. Those towers, together, were called the Twin Towers. Five more hijackers flew American Airlines Flight 77 into The Pentagon at 9:37 a.m. Then, the last flight, United Airlines Flight 93, crashed close to Shanksville, Pennsylvania at 10:03 a.m. It's target was believed to be either The White House or The Capitol. Its cockpit recorded crew members tried to take control of the plane after receiving phone calls from relatives about the other crashes. Once the hijackers found out the passengers where going to try to take over they rolled the plane and crashed it intentionally. There is a video of a security camera filming Flight 93 crashing into The Pentagon.

     The Twin Towers did eventually collapse due to fire-iduced structrial failure. The South Tower collapsed at 9:59 a.m. and the North at 10:28 a.m. Once the North Tower collapsed it fell by 7 World Trading Center causing even more fires and damaging it. 

     No plane was to fly over United States territory or to land either for three days. All aircraft that were going to land in the USA were redirected to Canada or Mexico.  The flight Delta Airlines Flight 1989 was suspected of being hijacked, but landed safely in Cleveland, Ohio.

     The overall deaths (including all the hijackers) was 2,996 people, and over 6,000 injured. People today who were there when the Twin Towers blew up still die of cancer from the ash that fell on them. At least 200 people fell or jumped to their deaths from the burning towers (as exemplified in the photograph The Falling Man), landing on the streets and rooftops of adjacent buildings hundreds of feet below. 

     There is now a memorial for this in NYC. It shows where the Twin Towers where and has all the names of everyone who died engraved in it. It also lights up at night on 9/11 to remember it. There was a bit of rubble left that formed a cross when all the fires where put out and so they put an American flag on it and made it a memorial too.