Chapter One - One Day

Within a warm summer day, there was a girl who was skipping along the sidewalk in the local park. “Hey Heather.” A woman’s voice was heard. 

This girl was named Heather, and she had a normal good life. A happy family. A good home and amazing friends! She was thirteen years old and attended a good school as well. “Yes mother?” The girl named Heather went to see what her mother needed. “Wanna get ice cream together?” Mom asked. “Yes please!” Heather felt a sudden burst of excitement. Mom smiled as they walked to the ice cream shop together. RING. The bell rang as they opened the door and walked into the store. “Go pick what flavors you want.” Mom gave her a smile. She went to the counter and saw a lot of different flavors of ice cream. She was counting each different flavor of ice cream until she counted to 42. “I wanna get all 42 flavors!” Heather said. “No no no. That’s too much sugar for you and besides, you won’t be able to finish it all. Mom said, pointing to mint chocolate chip. “Awww…” Heather felt disappointed. “But I did get your favourite.” Mom handed her an ice cream cone, full of mint chocolate chip ice cream. She happily took the cone and began to eat. “Thanks Mom!” Heather hugged her with pure sweetness. Mom hugged back with unidentifiable love. For the duration of their visit to the park, they were slowly eating ice cream and walked together throughout the park. After what seemed to be an hour, Heather was starting to feel sleepy. “What time is it..?” Heather asked, rubbing her eyes. “It is currently 5:30 or 17:30.” Mom gave her both 12 hour and 24 hour times. “You have to stay awake if you want to eat your favourite food.” Mom shaked Heather a little. Heather went from sleepy headed to wide eyed and she wasn’t gonna stop her from having supper with her favourite parents. “Let’s go home mom! Dad’s waiting for us!” Heather pulled her mom’s hand. “Okay okay Heather. Hold your horses.” Mom held Heather’s hand to try and slow her down. Heather was really eager to get back home and see dad. They finally made it home and her dad was waiting with open arms. “Dad!” Heather said as she jumped in his arms. “Hey my sweetie!” Dad was happy to see her smile. “How was your day at the park?” He asked, letting her down. “Good! I played on the swings and mom pushed me! We went to get ice cream and then we walked all around the park.” Heather told him what all happened. “That sounds like fun. Maybe all of us can go someday. Me, you and mom.” Dad gave her something to look forward to. Heather was jumping for joy. “But for now, we should prepare for supper.” Mom said, walking back to the kitchen to prepare for their feast. Mom was getting the stove ready, dad went to the grocery store to grab last minute ingredients and Heather setted the table, putting a flower in the vase that was sitting on the table. 

Almost 15 minutes later, dad came back with bags full of groceries. “Something smells good.” Dad said as he walked in. “Hi dad!” She gave him a smile sweet as honey. “Hey sweet pea.” Dad smiled. Heather smiled as she went on the table, waiting for food to be done. “You got the lettuce? Tomatoes? Peppers? Che-''''I got everything you asked for.” Dad pulled out all the food from the bags. He put the food on the counter. “Heather? Wanna help us with the final and best piece of the recipe?” Mom asked. Heather replied with a simple nod. “Take this block of cheese and scrape it against this cheese grater.” Mom handed her a block of cheese and a handheld cheese grater. “Okay Mom!” Heather took both of the items and began to do her job. Heather was sitting on the stool next to Mom and Dad, smiling to herself. “That’s our girl.” Mom was looking at Heather with soft eyes, Dad doing the same. The whole family was helping make supper together and once all that was finished, dinner was served. 

    “Tacos!” Was the first words that spilled from Heather’s mouth. Heather was looking at a table full of stuff for tacos. “Go ahead honey. You get to go first.” Dad nudged her to go first. Heather grabbed a soft taco shell then went around a full circle around the table, her taco stuffed with numerous delicacies. She wrapped the one end and held the taco, looking at the other end with a watery mouth. Mom and Dad got the same thing as her but instead with hard shells. They all sat outside in the family picnic table and in unison, MUNCH! Sounds of crunching were heard all around the table. “This is so good!” Heather had a full mouth, continuing to chow down on her food. Mom and Dad also enjoyed their meal, tasting the sweet and spiciness from it. “Thanks Mom and Dad!” Heather jumped onto her parents lap. “No problem sweetpea.” Dad hugged their baby girl, Mom doing the same. After several more bites, Heather was already done. “Can I have another?!” Heather frantically asked. “You’re done?!” Mom and Dad couldn’t believe their eyes. “ So does that mean yes??” Heather asked again. They only nodded. Heather went back inside and momentarily, she came back with another stuffed taco. Crunch, munch and scrunch! Heather loved the way they would make tacos. This time, Heather took the time to enjoy her meal, slowly but surely tasting the flavors of fresh veggies and nice, savoury meat and cheese. Once they were all done eating, the starry sky came up minutes later. “Look mom! A shooting star!” Heather pointed to a star that zoomed past the sky. “Make a wish honey.” Mom giggled. Heather closed her eyes, clamped her hands together and thought hard about her wish. “What did you wish for?” Dad asked. “I don’t wanna say because if I do, it won’t come true.” Heather pointed out a fact. “Oops sorry.” Dad giggled, getting up to yawn and stretch. “We’re heading inside, you coming?” Mom and Dad asked. Heather shook her head and sat on the green grass. Mom and Dad went back inside to clean. Heather looked up at the dark starry sky and admired the day she had but what a good day it has been. Now all she can think about is what will happen the next day and the day after that and the day after that. Heather yawned and felt tired so she got up and walked towards the door but before she went inside, she turned around to face the world. “Good night world!” Heather yelled out before heading inside. 

. . .

“Good night!” Someone yelled back from five houses down.