Chapter 1: Breaking Promises

My smiles suddenly felt fake.

It was not the first time I stood in front of the cheering crowd, waiting to sing. I was not feeling myself today. But I had to.
I took a slow deep breath and then began to sing.
"Not too long ago, I met you in an
Unexpected crossroad in my life,
I never thought that day would matter..."

#
...
#

I walked down the stage just as Noel approached.
"Splendid performance as always, Ms. Style."
"Thanks Noe. I still have time right?"
He showed me my schedule encoded on his tablet. "Yes! As you requested, I cancelled two of your interviews this afternoon so that you can have a break."
"See, that's why you're my manager." I smiled. A girl caught up with us, holding my phone in her hand.
"Ms. Style, you have 10 text messages and one missed call."
I took it from her as she pulled away my brunette-colored wig. "Thanks Rikki."
I scanned through my messages and opened a new one.
[[Counting down to 5 minutes after the last song. Waiting outside.]
"Well, I gotta run. Catch you guys later!"
I started sprinting and waved back at them brightly.

#
...
#

As I exited the building, I already saw him leaning by his motorcycle. He looked up and waved. I smiled.
"How did I do?" I asked when I was close.
"Average." He replied. "You looked a little nervous."
"Did you just watch it on TV or were you a present audience this time?"
"I wouldn't waste my money just to see you up there."
I frowned and started walking away. He laughed.
"I was kidding!" he yelled when I was about a feet away from him.
"Whatever!" I yelled back. He caught up with me.
"Come on, you know I was teasing."
I sighed. "I wonder why I even entertain it."
"It's fun to see you mad."
I stared him down and then rolled my eyes. He laughed again. Wow.
"Anyways, you called me out. What is it?"
He stopped laughing. "I was going to ask if you've been at Tally's Mountain."
"No, I haven't. What's that?"
He grinned and grabbed my hand. "Let's go."

#
...
#

It took us 5 minutes to get there on his motorcycle.
Tally's Mountain is actually a newly opened diner. Looks fascinating. The walls were blue, green and white artistically combined. Tables and chairs are freshly prepared for customers.
"It's beautiful here." I breathed.
"I knew you'd like it." He said. "So since it's you who got lucky today, I'm paying."
"How about your job interview?" I asked.
"I don't know. But pass or not, life goes on." He replied.
"That is so like you." I grinned. "Always so optimistic."
He chuckled. "By the way, your song choice was interesting."
I stopped. "Oh right. You noticed huh?"
"It's been a long time since I last heard it, and the first time it was sung onstage." he said.
I smiled. "It's worth it. Brings back a lot of friendship memories, eh?"
"I hope they are the good ones."
I laughed. "Your song was the reason why I was able to write that, remember? Not like you care anyway. I'm guessing it's only me who was able to reminisce."
"Hey, of course I did too. But I prefer to do it quietly."
I laughed. "Looking back, I invited you a couple of times to sing with me but you always declined so I had to sing alone." I glared playfully at him. "In other words, you owe me."
"And that's another reason why I'm paying today." He waved at a waitress. "Pick your meal."
"That's not what I want though." I took a good look at the menu on the table to see what food they're offering. Everything looks simple but the prices are expensive.
"I'll have the Chicken Duo with extra rice and a glass of fresh cold water." I told the waitress. I heard him chuckle.
"What?" I looked at him.
"I'll have what she's having." He smiled at her. He didn't respond to my question but I just ignored it.
"Would you like any dessert, sir?" she asked.
"That'll do for now." He replied and she walked away. I looked at him.
"That waitress is cute." I commented. "You should take her out."
"You want me to bring someone home?" He joked.
"Ha-ha, very funny. I just meant, she looks like your type." I said.
"So?"
"Things might work out if you give it a chance."
He laughed at me. "Lara, you should really stop looking at reality as if it was some kind of a romance movie. You don't even know my type of girl and you're picking out one for me."
"Hey now, it took me 5 years in college and 5 more after that to understand. I so know your type, Travis." I proudly said.
"Oh yeah? And what would that be?"
"Simple and mysterious, but friendly and charming."
He gave me a disbelieving look. "And how can you tell? Have you seen me around these type of women?"
"Hm, not really, no."
"Did I have a girlfriend back then?"
"No."
"And why is that?" he asked.
Of course I know why. "Because of our pact." I said.
He grinned. "Exactly. You wouldn't know my type of girl because aside from my friends and family, I have not been around many girls even in college. And because of the pact we made-"
"You made, you mean." I corrected him.
"Yeah fine, but because of that, I wouldn't. And I always keep my promises."
Really huh, I thought. I threw him a non believing smirk. He just laughed in response.
Our food came just as quick. The chicken smelled wonderful. He was definitely not wrong in bringing me here for lunch.
As we ate, I noticed he was glancing at me. So I stopped.
"What?"
He just looked at me for a moment before forming something like... a sad smile. "Everything has changed, huh?"
"You mean the song or in context?"
He laughed at me. "I still find it a very appealing song."
"You always find every song you know very appealing." I remarked as I drank my water.
"Not true. Some songs don't really have any reality in it." He said. "Some just talk about nonsense things."
"Like the ones in the High School Musical series that you said you hated?"
He laughed. "I so did not say that!"
"Hey, you did. You wouldn't agree when I told you that some of the songs in it talk about wonderful dreams that are at least not broken and are still there."
"But some dreams don't really come true, huh?"
Something about those words take me back 6 years ago. There was a broken dream there that no one thought to fix, not even for me.

I put down my cup and smiled faintly.
"Yeah, some of them just wasn't meant to be."
The silence after that, was uncertain.

#
...Travis POV...
#

Work is fine, I guess.

I had all papers cleared out and ready for the next weekend evening meeting. I glance over at my officemates. They all seemed occupied at the moment. I wouldn't wonder. It was a pretty critical meeting to everyone working in the company. The heads are expecting a lot.

I relaxed for a while. I found myself thinking about the comment I made at the diner a while ago. Why did I even say that? I didn't mean to open the wound she has been keeping quiet from for almost 5 years now.
The smile clearly left her face that time. I was so rude. How do I make it up to her?
"How indeed?"
I looked up and saw my work partner Adrian smiling down knowingly at me.
"Said that out loud, didnt I?"
"No. I was just listening to my partner muttering to himself." he laughed. "Rotten candy on your brain?"
"I just think I said something bad to her a while ago." I sighed.
"If you had been rude to your best friend sir, you should do something to make it up to her." Another workmate named Sarah came and interrupted.
"I know but I can't do much. She's flying home this weekend." I said.
"That's cool! But not as much as if you've kept your promise to introduce her to us." Adrian said.
I groaned in recognition. "Oh right."
"So when will it be? I have to get my muscles absolutely ready." Adrian flexed his good-for-nothing arms. I laughed.
"And why must you be ready, Adrian?" Sarah asked.
"Because she just might be the one for me and I don't wanna embarrass myself."
"If I was going to make a list of suitable partners for Lara, I don't think you are going to be there."
"And who is? You?" Adrian got closer and put his two hands on my table. "You should know something, Travis. Women that beautiful and talented don't come our way everyday. I'm sure to take my chances once I see myself fit."
I find myself laughing a bit as he walked out. Sarah watched him leave then looked at me.
"If I may sir, he has a point. Sooner or later, Ms. Lara will have guys running after her. If you want to live a happy regretless life, you'll have to pick between the shoes or the bleachers."
"Huh?" I shook my head as my mysterious assistant left the office.

Adrian and Sarah both had a point though.

Slowly, there's a tugging sensation in my gut. A name appeared in my mind.
I pulled out my phone and searched the number if it's still there. Bingo, still is. Quite hesitantly, I dialed it. Clearing my throat, I spoke.
"Hello? It's Travis, a friend. I need to talk to you about something."