•••••

Akaashi was 7 years old when he started having those weird dreams. Dreams he couldn't make any sense of. These dreams weren't scary or unpleasant. But there was something eerie about them. He couldn't point it out.

At first the dreams were hazy. He could barely remember the events in his dreams. However, as he grew older, the dreams became clearer. Yet he still couldn't make anything out of them. They induced a weird sense of nostalgia in him. He often felt like crying afterwards. But it wasn't because he was sad or afraid or any of that.

He felt relieved.

Weird. That was all he could use to describe them.

                   ****************

When Akaashi turned 13, he for the very first time found something that seemingly had meaning in his dreams. He remembered two words uttered by the faceless silhouette of a person that appeared in his dream.

Cloud Atlas.

He didn't know what it meant. Not until he came across a movie of the same name while browsing the net.

His curiosity drove him to watch it immediately. By the end of the movie, tears were rolling down his cheeks, unwarned. It wasn't because of the movie.

It was because he felt as if he'd watched this movie a hundred times before. He felt everything that he knew until now was melting away... He was missing something.

But he didn't know what it was.

                ********************

As he approached his 15th birthday, the dreams became more transparent. He could make out the events and remember them now. And this confused him even more.

In his dream, he saw a man seemingly twenty years old with black and white mess of a hair. He had amber eyes that were gleaming with excitement. It was someone he had never encountered in his life. Ever. The surroundings around him were fuzzy and warped. But he could see the unknown boy vividly.

Akaashi was beyond confused.

Even though the man in his dream was a complete stranger Akaashi never felt uneasy. He was just confused. He felt as if he knew this person better than anyone. And that he will see this person in real life.

Someday.

                 ******************

Throughout the years Akaashi grew unusually fond of two things. Snow and volleyball. Actually, it wasn't unusual to be fond of those things. But the melancholy that he felt was unusual. He liked watching the snow fall from the sky. But as he did so something inside his heart seemed to freeze. And even when he played volleyball he lacked a sense of excitement that worried his peers sometimes.

Akaashi couldn't help the way he felt. But he always felt it had something to do with the dreams.

That's what his instincts told him.

He was a task-focus sort of person. Always doing what needs to be done, without budging. That made him extremely reliable. But he could hardly make friends because of his reserved nature. He was just anxious. That's why he couldn't never talk to anyone about this weird dreams that he was having for years.

Not even his parents.

                    *******************

Autumn was almost over and the year end was approaching. It was time for Akaashi to decide which highschool he wanted to go to. Personally, he wanted to go to a school with a good volleyball team. He liked it, therefore, he wanted to put in some effort.