By your side

Hey. This story is kinda weird but it's the future but not too far into it. So yup. Enjoy

~Kristin

CHAPTER ONE.

{Savannah's POV}

It's a cold October day, slightly raining probably they made it that way so we were forced to share umbrellas with our pair. Problem is I don't have one. I've never even talked to a guy and now I have to pick one to be my pair.

I'm wearing a light brown sweater with a big chunky necklace and jeans. I actually put on make up today, light eye shadow and mascara to bring out my brown eyes. My light brown hair is curled and tied behind me. For once I feel beautiful, but it doesn't change my mood.

I see the football team storm onto the field and the night starts.

All the football players are paired up already. Their pairs sit on the last row in a group talking, cheering them on. I wish I was one of them but only the prettiest girls get football players.

I look around and see a groups of guys with girls all around them. Some guys are off by themselves.

Tonight is step one of the whole pairing deal. We meet people, remember them and rank our top 5. Step two is being assigned to your pair. Then things get more complicated and I don't want to get into it.

I will probably end up alone anyway, but I guess I'll try.

I start walking up the bleachers and sit at the top. I passed a couple of guys but was to scared to actually sit down with them.

"Hey." I hear beside me. I turn to see a girl my age, looking just as nervous as me.

"Hey." I reply. I scoot over so she can sit next to me.

"I'm Mel, by the way." She says, her hands shaking.

"Savannah. You nervous?" I ask.

"That obvious?" She says laughing. I nod smiling.

I don't get why she would be nervous though. She has beautiful long black hair. She is Asian, but must have another race in her because she looks... Different. But beautiful.

"I'm not good at this. I can't just walk up to a guy and sit with them." She says while I nod in agreement.

"Which school do you go to? I don't think I've seen you." I ask.

"2nd school for the arts. I'm a singer, kinda. You?"

"3rd school. The regular boring kind."

I reply.

Our community has 5 schools. 1st school for the brilliant students. 2nd school for musical/acting students. 3rd school for just normal classes, most go there. 4th school for the less smart people, most just learn slower. And 5th school. It's tiny and I've never actually been inside of it. It's for the kids with disabilities.

We sit there for a couple minuets while the team warms up but right as the game starts a boy approaches us. He is probably coming for Mel.

The boy has short red hair and freckles. He is attractive but I don't really think a lot about him because he isn't coming for me.

"Hey girls." He says as he steps up onto our level.

"Hey." Mel says flashing him a smile. She probably meant for it to be sweet but it was a nervous shaky smile. Mine would be worse so I'm not even going to try.

"I'm Reid. Mind if I sit?" Well at least he is really polite.

"Sure. Oh and I'm Mel." She says while scooting over so he is in between us. Perfect.