prologue

An ominous feeling spread through my body as I reached the end of the icy road. Ignoring the feeling in my gut, I proceeded. Taking one more step and then one too many; I became lost to the world as I submerged through the ice, spectacles flowing around me as I fell deeper and departed from the reality that once was.

When I awoke from my slumber I was startled to find eyes enclosing and peering close to mine. I took a step back, collecting my breath and slowing my pulse. I knew this day was fast approaching, just not so near. My mind wasn't in order. The glowing eyes grew closer still, their yellow hue threatening to consume me.

"I am sorry, I will not give you the demons cloak!" tugging fiercely at my collar, I tightened my grip. As a young child being given such a daunting task seemed unfathomable but here I stood. Surrounded by demons seeking their ruler and I, a young boy not even 16, defending against the inevitable.

The powers came clashing around me, discord erupted. Rays of light pulsing from the jewels on the demons temples. I'd been trained for this, it wasn't so bad. In this strange new realm I seemed capable of almost anything. I flew through the air dodging flashes and beams. Just once I felt a sheer in my skin, I peered at my arm and watched as the crystals of blood fell away, cascading and shattering on the crisp and chilled soil beneath me.

There was still time. I could call on the demon lord and rely on his strength, but there was also a chance he'd betray and join the other demons. I swallowed in the frosty air as I took five grand steps back. I could feel the surge of power escaping the cloak as the demon appeared. Looking up, I watched as the demon lord lingered above me, making his presence known to all the demons.