I Can't Speak

It's a usual hot day in the city of Compton, the kids are breaking fire hydrants and adults casually dip their toes into the cold puddles that are left behind. I, on the other hand, am stuck in a hair salon getting my hair done in a new fashion trend. I can't stand the heat on my head while they dry the new liquid soap that will not stop getting in my eyes. As my new painfully twisted braids are starting to get lower and lower past my shoulder blades, I notice out of the side of my eyes, him, the one I never have the nerve to talk to unless I have my roller skates on. I can have my eyes on him for years on end, sometime I get caught and still...

"Hello honey, you there? Woo who. Boqesha?" Valerie said with a question as she waves her hand in front of my face.

"Yes ma'am. I'm here. What did you say?" I said as I break my glance of the only cute boy in town.

"I was asking you honey if it was too tight on this side. Are they?"

"No, they're fine ma'am."

"Ok, you're all done honey."

"How much will it be?" My Momma asked.

"It's on the house! I can never charge my own sister." Valerie said.

"You're too kind, too kind. Let me at least tip you!" Momma said as she tries to find her wallet in her bottomless pit of a purse.

"If you must, I'll take it." Valerie said as she takes the $5 bill.

My Momma helps me out of the spinning chair so that I don't fall on the floor with all the hair on it, unlike last time. It wasn't fun getting all of the loose hairs out of my brand new sticky braids. Now, back to the present. While I'm opening the door I see him again and I just can't take my eyes off him. I get my mom to hurry up so that I can get home, put on my roller skates, and then "run into", him, and start our conversation, but my mom won't stop talking to Auntie. I need him in my life, with his think brown hair, bright green eyes, strong muscles, and and perfect skin. He could get any girl he wants if he wants, but he's single and ready to mingle.

"Mom, I'm not feeling too good. Can we go?" I sadly had to lie to my momma to get her to let us leave the salon.

"Honey, you ok? Let's go home and get you to lay down you poor thing." Momma said with love on her heart and voice.

Now that we're home, I can say I feel better and put my roller skates on. My champion ship roller skates to be exact. I need the extra speed and confidence.

"NOOOOOOOOOO! Where are they? Mom where did you put them? I need them." I said in a panic.

"Someone's felling better." Momma said in a jokingly fashion,"And what are you looking for honey?"

"My championship skates. You know what they do to me. The ones that I used to win the 1998 speed skating competition." I said as I strip clean our entire unorganized and tacky looking furniture apartment.

"Found them honey." Momma said.

"Nice try honey, you can't leave me hanging high and dry. You must pay me with a kiss." Momma said as she moves my skates out of my reach and puts her cheek next to my sweating face.

"Ok, love you Momma." I said as I steal my skates and kiss Momma goodbye. I don't have enough time to tie my laces. I leave the complex racing both mentally and physically as the sweat beads down my face and the braids that Auntie come undone from the soap not drying all the way. As the gate is opening, I get my pair of worn down red Sketchers off my feet and my glittered up, silver, four wheeled skates on. The gate just opened, I have the city map locked into my head from me walking to school everyday. I know the route that he takes to get to his grandpa's shop. I'll have to cut him off at 3rd and 6th. I think there's an ally-way that connects them. Wait, there's construction on 4th I think, I'll have to risk it. I don't have enough time to lace up my skates. I take off at max speed. We live on second. I can go around 3rd and hang a left to get to 4th. The lights just will not change on 3rd. I'm not waiting, I'll miss my chance. There's no cars, I can go. I push off my right foot and go through the ally so that I can pass 4th and not get stopped by construction.

No, it can't be. There's no way. What, how? That's impossible. Thoughts go rushing through my head before I can react. (Blackout)

"We need it stat!" (Blackout) "Pressure! She's going to bleed out!" said by a mysterious voice that sounds kinda familiar. I'm so cold. Colder then ever before. I can't feel my legs. Or my left arm.

"Hello, honey?" I think my momma said with a question in her voice. "Sorry sweety, I don't think she's awake today." Momma said to someone else in the room. Is he here? Does he know who I am?

"MOMMA! I'm here! Mom, why can't you hear me! Mom!" I said as my Mom walked someone out of the room. I hear the door close. Momma walks back into the room and sits next to my legs.

"When will you wake up honey?"

I can feel my mouth open. "I'm right here Mommy!" I said as my mom starts to cry and register what just happened.

"You're, you're awake!"

"Who...was..." I said as you hear the last breath come out of my mouth and hear the long last beep.

"Honey? Honey! Honey!" My momma said as she shakes my body. SNAP, is all you heard as she shakes my body one last time.

"Honey?*sucking her runny nose juices back in* Doctor! I need a doctor here right now! Why isn't there a doctor here?!" Momma said. From that day on, I never spoke again.