c h a p t e r t w e n t y e i g h t

𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚: 𝖳𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝖻𝗈𝗈𝗄 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝗍𝖺𝗂𝗇𝗌 𝗆𝖾𝗇𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇 𝗈𝖿 𝖽𝗋𝗎𝗀 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖺𝗅𝖼𝗈𝗁𝗈𝗅 𝖺𝖻𝗎𝗌𝖾, 𝖺𝗌𝗌𝗎𝗅𝗍, 𝗏𝗂𝗈𝗅𝖾𝗇𝖼𝖾, 𝖽𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗁 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝗍𝖺𝗂𝗇𝗌 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗆𝖾𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖼𝗁𝖺𝗋𝖺𝖼𝗍𝖾𝗋𝗌 𝗂𝗇 𝖺𝗌𝗌𝗈𝖼𝗂𝖺𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝖫𝖦𝖡𝖳𝖰𝖨𝖠+ 𝖢𝗈𝗆𝗆𝗎𝗇𝗂𝗍𝗒. 𝖨𝖿 𝖺𝗇𝗒 𝗈𝖿 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗌𝖾 𝗌𝗁𝗈𝗎𝗅𝖽 𝖻𝖾 𝗍𝗋𝗂𝗀𝗀𝖾𝗋𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗈𝗋 𝖽𝗈 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝖽𝗈 𝗇𝗈𝗍 𝖺𝗀𝗋𝖾𝖾 𝗐𝗂𝗍𝗁 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗆, 𝖨 𝗐𝗈𝗎𝗅𝖽 𝖺𝖽𝗏𝗂𝗌𝖾 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗍𝗈 𝗌𝗍𝗈𝗉 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝖽𝗂𝗇𝗀.

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘛𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺 𝘌𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 - 𝘍𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘉𝘳𝘰𝘬𝘦

adrian

"Avery Killian Cortello, open your eyes!"

"Avery!"

"Adrian!"

"Huh?" I gasped. I flinched when a hand touched my shoulder and I snapped my head in the direction their hand came from.

"You okay?" When he saw me flinch, he removed his hand from my shoulder but Reece's eyes were still clouded with worry.

"Why do you guys keep asking me that?" I adjusted my position in the car seat so I wasn't looking at Reece or even facing him. "I was not the one who got shot."

Yesterday happened. I snuck out of the house with my brother who was grounded and we ended up an hour away from home where a man, who I didn't even know the name of, tracked us down and shot my brother. I was the only one there to call an ambulance and I was the only one there to try and stop him from bleeding out. My other brothers made me lie to the cops about what actually happened and told me to tell them that Avery was mugged but he didn't have anything on him because all of his valuable items were in the car with me so the attacker shot him.

Even after all that happened, my brothers' secrets that they kept from me just kept piling up. All of them refused to tell me or changed the subject whenever I asked who the man was or why he shot Avery and the most important question, why did they tell me to lie to the cops. None of them answered any of those questions by either telling me not to worry about it or that they would tell me later and I was getting irritated at the secrecy but I never brought it up again.

"And Avery is perfectly fine, Adrian." Reece reassured me for what had to be the millionth time. "You were there when he left the med bay, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah I know." I sighed. "I guess I'm still shaken about the whole thing but it's fine." I sighed. "I'll be fine in a few hours." I mumbled to myself.

"Adrian, smettila di considerare quello che senti come irrilevante, okay?" Even if I wasn't looking at him, I was still listening to Reece. "Hai-hai visto tuo fratello farsi sparare, okay? Nessuno lo supera dall'oggi al domani." From the corner of my eye I saw Reece glance at me while he was talking. "Adrian, hai solo tredici anni. Hai passato più schifezze nella tua breve vita rispetto alla maggior parte delle altre persone in una vita. Non puoi-non puoi tenere tutto ciò che ti senti imbottigliato dentro perché ti distruggerà."

"Adrian, stop considering what you feel as irrelevant, okay?"

"You-you saw your brother get shot, okay? Nobody gets past that overnight."