Chapter 1

Aelin POV

Today was the first day of junior year. The first day seeing my ex, Chaol, who just happens to know the biggest secret ever. I told him the last day of sophomore year, because I felt wrong not telling him. The fact that I am not dead, arrested, or on trial means he hasn't told anyone. Yet. Maybe he's waiting to spring it on mw when I am calm and not expecting it. Maybe he just doesn't know what to do. Maybe a little part of him still cared about me and didn't want to see that happen to me, even though he wanted it to happened with Celaena Sardothien. Celaena Sardothien. The most well-known assassin, whom nobody knows anything about. Except Lysandra, who is in the services of Arobynn's partner, Clarisse, and knows who I am. And now Chaol. And Aedion, of course.

See, my parents were murdered when I was eight by an assassin hired to take out my family. Nobody knows why. Probably to get all the land my parents had. As I was the heir to it, they tried to kill me too. But Arobynn Hamel, the King of Assassins, found me, and raised me to be Celaena Sardothien. I let people believe I was dead until I was actually skilled, and could actually do something, which was around when I was 13. I went to the bank and shocked everyone, but collected my assets. But I liked the assassin training, so I kept Celaena Sardothien, even as I became Aelin Ashryver Galathynius. 

Celaena Sardothien became quite famous, in fact, I have trouble not sniggering whenever someone brings up how terrified they are of Celaena Sardothien. No one knew, except Aedion and Lysandra, who both accepted it, for some weird reason, and now Chaol, who has reacted to it I don't know how. Probably poorly, if he was normal. Chaol is my ex-boyfriend, who is best friends with Dorian, who I kissed but never really dated. Dorian and I are still friends now though. But before even Dorian, before when I was a slave in the Salt Mines of Endovier, still can't believe that's a thing, for a year, before my cousin got me out, there was Sam. 

Sam Cortland. I loved him, I love him still. But Arobynn Hamel arranged his torture and murder because Sam and I loved each other, and Arobynn doesn't like sharing his pets. It still hurts, even to this day. But if I thought about Sam then I wouldn't get out of bed for possibly the next week, so I pushed him out of my mind into the corner of my subconscious with all of my dead, and got out of bed. There was a school uniform for School of Glass, which is really called Adarlan Prep, but all the exterior walls are glass, so everyone calls it School of Glass.

It's nothing fancy. It's just a plaid skirt and a long sleeve shirt that hugs your skin (not the cliché button down school uniform shirt, thank god) and a blazer with the school crest. The school colors were blue and black and white, so the skirt was white and black plaid, the shirt white, and the blazer blue (with the crest). The uniforms weren't always as pretty, they used to be ugly but in my sophomore year, my friend Lysandra and I got all the girls (and some boys) to change the uniform, so it happened. We also got one week of school in September, the second week of school, to wear whatever you want, following dress code of course.

I changed into the uniform, and it was chilly, but not cold, so I didn't put on tights under the skirt. I got my backpack, pounded on Aedion's door and yelled,

"Wake up you hulking brute. It's the first day and I won't be late!" A grumble came in response, but I heard the squeaking of bed hinges and the wooden floor so I knew he got up. So I went downstairs, got out the toaster, but bread in it, and plopped down on a chair. The toast popped up so I skipped towards it and made toast with Nutella. I ate it over the sink, because it was messy, and when I looked at my reflection, my face was covered in chocolate. I laughed and walked to the bathroom to wash it off. I didn't much favor makeup, so just brushed my teeth and rubbed a little bronze eyeshadow over my eyes, and a pink tinted lip balm over my lips. Then it was time to do my hair.

I was too lazy to do anything special, so I left it out and just brushed it. This time Aedion rapped on the door and said,

"Time to go Aelin!"