Saviors- Book I of the Reslayers Trilogy

Prologue

            A girl opened her eyes, somewhat startled.  These eyes were gray like the overcast sky, but usually they would be more bluish, if she weren't so tired from having just woken up.  She found it cool that her eyes were gray.  They suited her well, because this girl's name was Elizabeth Gray.

                Eliza was a young lady of fifteen at the time, and of British descent.  She lived in a smallish town in Connecticut, Torrington, but she wouldn't be there for very long.  This is because the town, perhaps even the whole world, was in very grave danger-- and although she didn't know it yet, this was the reason why Eliza just woke up.

                "It's..." Eliza began as she awoke, "frickin'..." She sat up sharply, "SATURDAY!!" This was her reaction to the enormous amount of noise going on outside.  There were sirens, screams, car horns. "What the shit?" she whispered to herself. She deftly padded down the stairs and into the living room, where she promptly turned on the TV.  As she did so she noticed that neither of her parents were home. They were at work.

                "THE INFECTION HAS SPREAD," the newsflash told her, "IT HAS REACHED AN EPIDEMIC LEVEL. PLEASE EVACUATE TO SHELTERS..." Eliza shut off the TV before she could see any more.  She didn't think she could handle it.  Why the hell hadn't she heard about this before, back when it wasn't an epidemic level? What was this disease?  Probably her parents didn't want her to panic about it, because they thought it wasn't a big deal.  They knew Eliza had a thing for panicking, which she happened to be doing right then.

                Silently she curled up on the couch, completely at a loss of what to do now.  Her eyes were squeezed shut.  No parents were home, and she couldn't drive yet.  She guessed she'd just call her parents, and in the meantime before they came home she'd hide in her closet with a towel over her face.  Yes, that sounded like a good plan.  A very favorable plan.

                Something dawned on her then.  Why would they have shelters for the healthy people in an epidemic situation?  Shouldn't the infected people be quarantined?  Shouldn't the healthy people just stay in their houses and avoid people?  It all seemed kind of sketchy to her.  A crazy thought passed through her mind when she realized it was the twenty-first of December.  The year 2012. "HAHAHA. No." She dismissed the ridiculous idea in order to keep herself from getting more anxious.

                Unfortunately for her, a glance through the window actually proved her right.  There was someone pressed against the glass, but she wasn't normal.  Pale, greenish-gray skin, covered in blood.  A severely deformed face.  Most horrifying of all, she looked like she wanted to murder Eliza and eat her alive.

                "NO." Eliza, in near total shock, curled up tighter on the couch. "HELL no. No. NO. WHY--" She clutched her hair in fists, bright red wavy strands being pulled out and tangled in her fingers.  The hyperventilation began, starting slowly, and then with no one around to help her, reaching critical level.  The creature outside started to bang on the window, louder and louder each time.

                "NO!" She was screaming now, hysterical.  "THIS IS SO FUCKED UP!"

                The glass shattered, and Eliza passed out from too much oxygen.

                The next time she was conscious of anything, Eliza was in the backseat of her dad's car.  Her arm hurt like living hell, and it was all wrapped up.  There was blood on her pajama t-shirt.  Most worrying of all, her dad was driving really fast.