The Start of a Long Semester

I grabbed my backpack and slid it over one shoulder. Eyeing the new girl, I beckoned for her to come over.

"Hello! My name is Marilyn. What's yours?" I smiled at her, making direct eye contact.

"H-Hi. I'm Paige."
I narrowed my piercing green eyes, and smiled again at her. "Interesting name. I really like your outfit! Hopefully we can be friends! How about you meet me in the Develyn Hall after class?"

"Sure." She smiled back at me and turned on her heels.

Perfect girl for my sorority. Looks like Eviden University is gonna break this girl. She'll go from cute and perky to evil and devious. I love it.

My phone beeped in my hand, causing my thoughts to scatter. "Emergency sorority meeting! Everyone meet at the forest now!" I rolled my eyes at the text and sighed.

I made my way down the stairs and out to the pathway that leads to the forest. "Marilyn!" Maddison Blake, my best friend enemy yelled. "What is so important to schedule a meeting at 8am! I'm head of sorority so you better have a pretty terrific explanation for this emergency meeting!" I screamed, louder than I intended.

"I called the meeting to inform the sorority we lost one of our own. Sara's in the hospital. She got into a car crash early this morning on her way home from the hotel. She's in a coma."

Maddison sniffled and soon after burst into tears. Lexi, whom was the vice of our sorority gasped, as well as the rest of the girls in our sorority. "One of us should have been with her! She told us this morning she didn't feel well but we still let her drive alone! It's all our fault, we should've--"

"SHUT UP!" I screamed at Lexi. It took me a while to process what has just been said. A tear slipped out of my eye but I quickly wiped it away.

I turned on my heels and stomped down the path towards the dorms. If I was going to fall apart and cry, I'd be damned if I let them see me do so.

Sara McHollis is in a coma. Sara, my other half is in a coma. And it's all my fault. I shouldn't have been so careless. I wish I was an altruist like her. If I was, there's no way this tragedy would've happened...