Just Like That

This one's for you H. Hope you don't think too badly of it. And, um, feedback would be nice :)

                                                  _________________________________

The red string of fate, also referred to as the red thread of destiny or the red thread of fate and other variants, is an East Asian belief originating from Chinese legend and is also used in Japanese legend. According to myth, the gods tie an invisible red string around the ankles of those that are destined to meet each other in a certain situation or help each other in a certain way.

The two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of time, place or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break.

                                                                                                                    ____________________________________________________________

If you asked Louis, he'd be the first to say that out of the 5 of them, Niall was most likely to be magic. He'd even proceed to point out Niall's features ("His eyes. His eyes! You can't ever miss them" or "Just look at his hair!") and compare them to that of magical creatures (hint: leprachauns).

And Louis, with his own Peter Pan syndrome, would shut up your arguments because Louis was always right.

                                                                                                                   _____________________________________________________________

Niall couldn't remember a time when he hadn't been able to see them. The strings that ran out from every person, connected to their little fingers.

He'd worried his parents as a child; seeming to focus on nothing at all, following something invisible (he'd often got lost because of that), grasping at thin air. Then his 7 year old self finally came out with it, asking what the strange little red strings were.

His mother, a little puzzled, had replied with a, "I don't know what you're talking about, dear" and that was that. Niall knew to never mention it out loud again.

But the red strings were always on his mind.

                                                                                                                 _______________________________________________________________

He'd asked his mother 2 years after the divorce, but even in his young heart, he'd always known his parents wouldn't last for long. He understood things a little too well- always had.

Even at a tender age, he wasn't blind to his father's struggle, with his black, and horrifyingly, cut string (the first Niall encountered). Seeing Anne's string, as black and terribly short as his father's, brought back unwanted fear and Niall found himself repeatedly glancing at his wrist at times for reassurance. 

But it was there, ever present, taut and waiting.

                                                                                                           __________________________________________________________________

2010. The year he met the boys. The year One Direction was born. The year he saw the other end of his string. And who it lead to.

And of course, it was just his luck that it was his bandmate, namely Liam. It was even ridiculous that they happened to have the same middle name.