Chapter 1

"Hey Sophie!"

Sophie looked up from the book she was reading. Upon seeing Keefe at the door, she smiled, got up and made to open it.

Keefe Sencen was Sophie's future husband, but for now he was just her girlfriend. He had proposed to her three years after completing their Foxfire Elite Levels. Her other buddies, like Biana, Dex, Fitz, Wylie and others had also partnered. Fitz and Marella, Biana and Dex had all made out too, but Sophie had a nagging feeling Fitz hadn't given up on her yet.

Still, she tried to be happy for her present boyfriend and try and forget about Fitz.

Wrong call.

Three hours after Keefe had arrived, she found herself snuggled up on the sofa beside him. That wasn't the wrong bit. That was the nice bit.

A couple more hours after that, and Sophie was on her Imparter, checking her messages. She had just received a message from school asking if she would like to come back and teach there. She had declined. Politely, of course, but all the same, she wanted to spend as much time in eternity with Keefe as possible.

Then, the door knocked again. Fitz was there, grinning as usual, but his smile didn't have the same impact as it did when she was in Level 4,3,2, and 5,6,7 and 8 at Foxfire, but she smiled back, nevertheless.

He smiled again.

"I brought mallowmelt!" he said, holding up a tray.

"Oh, wow! I had some earlier today, so I won't have loads," 

They sat together on the sofa. Fitz fidgeted. 

"Sophie?"

"Mmm?" Sophie quickly wiped her mouth. "Yeah?"

"I want to talk to you,"

Sophie had been waiting for this.

"You know, Fitz, you've been really kind and all, especially since you brought mallowmelt,"  She eyed the tray greedily "but I told Dex I would help him at slurps and burps, so..."

"I understand. Maybe tomorrow."

Sophie looked up from the piece of mallowmelt she was sucking on.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, hopefully tomorrow,"

Fitz rolled his eyes as Sophie attacked the last bit of mallowmelt.

3 minutes later and Fitz was in his bedroom at Everglen, cursing. It was impossible! They were inseparable! He knew perfectly well that what Sophie had said before he left was a lie, as did Sophie. If only he could erase Keefe forever and he and Sophie could live together. But they were so in love! How could he do it?

Suddenly he grinned. This grin wasn't the grin that Sophie used to favor. This was a different grin altogether. He had a cunning plan. Maybe Sophie hadn't needed to go to 'Slurps and Burps', but he might find just what he needed there...

First, he let his dad know he was going there.

Then he took out his pathfinder, spun the crystal to the position he knew was 'Slurps and Burps' and stepped into the light.