chapter 1

We stayed there, sitting in silence for what felt like a lifetime. Frozen in time, with alyssa's words echoing through my body.

She loves me too.

I really thought i'd lost her. In fact that's happened more times than i can count, but now she's confirmed she loves me. This changes everything.

My finger continued to rub back and forth against her hand, as a million thoughts raced through my mind.

It felt good to have her near me again.

But i couldn't help worrying about what would happen to us next, we had no where to go, no place to stay.

My dad was dead, and Alyssa's mum was, well, an asshole.

All we had is each other.

I turned to her, with a slight smile. She glanced back at me blankly, before standing up.

"We should get back" she said, brushing herself down.

"Yeah" i agreed, standing up to stretch my legs, which had now gathered cramp.

We began to walk back down the hill, leaving our untouched food behind us.

I don't know why we even bothered to buy some chips, we never eat them, but i guess it was just to fill the empty silence.

We continued to walk until we reached my car, where the urn now lay, resting against the back seat, with nothing inside.

As we drove down country lanes, alyssa stayed silent, her hand tucked beneath her chin as she stared out at the passing fields.

I decided to turn on the radio, to help pass the time.

A familiar tune began to fill the car, reminding me of a happier time.

"Keep on runnin'
keep on hidin'
one fine day i'm gonna be the one, to make you understand,

oh yeah i'm gonna be your man"

I couldn't stop myself, and before i knew it i was singing along, tapping my hand against the roof of the car.

Alyssa turned to look at me, for a moment i thought she might start yelling or turn it off, but she started to sing along with me.

Just like old times....