Elm High

"Ash-shy! School, hurry it up!" Uri, my step brother screamed. 

Screaming. The first part of Uri's personality. If he wasn't screaming, he was whispering, and then you were in trouble. 

I brushed my black hair, making it look as soft as possible. Too-big sweater, check. Tight jeans check. Anything to be as un-unique as possible. That's how it's always been. I know that sounds like a bad story. All about realising what makes me special is great. That you don't have to fit in to be 'accepted'. 

Not this one. This isn't about dealing with Uri either. Some things are best left alone. . .

Pulling my air forces on, I headed out the door. Jogging after the bus, I made it. My hair shone red in the morning light, my eyes shining red too. I knew it. I looked down, trying to hide it.

If you didn't catch that, it's not normal to have your eyes shine red. I look totally evil. Usually it lasts 20 minutes. I put my sunglasses on. You know, to hide the red glare. When I was little I pretended it was lasers.

Uri, however doesn't have any weird things about him. He chooses to be weird. Not like me.

Finally the bus stopped. I jumped off, and ran away. I mean, I walked to my class. Heh.

"Yo Ash, what's wrong with your shoes?" Aiden asked.

I rolled my eyes. And kicked the grass of my shoes. I tried to find something to tease Aiden about, but as usual, he was immaculate.

I walked over to Dean, and started teasing him. He was short, with brown hair, and glasses. He always wore this green sweatshirt that said 'Archaeology Rocks!' He was so easy to pick on. 

I figure if I join the teasers, I'll become one of them. And I get that it's bullying and all that but honestly I don't care. 

"Yo Ash! Don't be mean!" Jaiden yelled. Jaiden. Average height, blonde hair, blue eyes, crop tops and all. She was the popularest kid in our grade. 

There was 1 popular group, a group of girls. And then there was the alternate popular group, full of sporty guys and skater kids. They usually hang out together, but there's a clear difference.

I was in a group with myself. 

What's your closest friend's name? Can't choose? Exactly my point. I don't have any friends to choose from.

The bell rung, and me and Jaiden's group walked into the school. I went to math, with most kids.

Finding it easy, as usual, I finished early. I found myself wiggling my pencil above the paper to make myself seem stupider. Being stupid was easier to relate too than being smart. There's pros and cons to both if you didn't know. 

The only person who knew I was 'smart' was the teacher. My Mom didn't care. And my Stepdad didn't care about anyone but Uri. 

The whole stepdad thing's always been confusing for other people. My Mom never divorced everyone. Uri's older than me. They've been happily married for 20 years. I don't know where I fit in there, just like I don't know where I fit in at school.

"Yo Ash, you need help?" Avery, Jaiden's best friend asked.

"I'm good, thanks,"

"Oh my god, Ash is so STUPID!" Avery whispered. I don't know how I heard it, but  I did. I've always had good hearing I suppose.

I waited the whole day out, confused as ever about friends. The only problem I've never figured out.

Catching the bus, I headed home. A small smile spread over my face as I saw Elm High shrinking away.