Rollerskating into my heart

TJ's POV

"And WHY are we doing this again?" I ask annoyed. Lester, Reed, and I have walked into "Rollerama Llama", our local roller skating rink here in town. It's definitely older and a few retouches wouldn't hurt it but it also has that classic charm that everyone falls in love with.

"Dude, didn't you hear that there was a contest today and the winner gets $1000?" Imagine what I can do with $1000!" Reed asks excitedly. "Maybe you can bribe a girl into dating you." Lester teases and we all laugh. We buy our skates and though I appear collected on the outside, the boys don't know that I'm really good at skating. That's just kinda dorky. Don't meant to brag but...

You're talking to the two time junior roller skating champion here and don't you forget it.

I just haven't been in here since 4th grade so I might fall a couple times. I said junior  for a reason. I definitely don't want tofall cause those two bozos will put it all over Snap and I'll never hear the end of it.

I'm just tryna survive man.

After we laced up, restarted talking for a while on the bench. While Reed was going on about a weird mole he found on his stomach, I look at the rink in confusion. Now that I've got my skates on, I just realized that there is no contest....

It is "Romance with Rollerskating" night aka couples night. I saw an ad for it a week ago but forgot about it. "Guys we picked the worst day. All these cheesy couples will be here soon. Let's just dip and come back when it won't be." I finish saying as Reed and Lester both yell "NO!"

"Why not? We're not dating anyone." I say in confusion. Just as I finish saying that, Reed and Lester look over to the front door and then to each other and smile slyly. "Hey, I see those smiles. What's your deal?" I asked confused and turned back to the door. My eyes widened and my heart started racing.

Andi, Buffy, Marty, Amber, and Cyrus all came into the roller rink smiling and laughing. It's Cyrus that catches my attention though. He looks different. He has on a dinosaur shirt with the T-Rex trying to clap his hands but getting sad that it couldn't. He's wearing shorts and converse. He looks different but I like it.

After admiring him for a bit, I look over to Reed and Lester and get upset. I told them about how I liked Cyrus 2 weeks ago and they promised not to try and get us together.

Why did I even believe that?

"You guys said you wouldn't interfere!" I say annoyed and hit Reed's arm while he faked cried in pain. "Teej, if we so happen to run into your crush and his friend's in a public place, that's not interference, that's a coincidence!" Reed says smiling "Or fate. It's a small town after all." Lester says smiling too but I know what they are up to.

I hear someone call my name and I see Amber walking over with the group. I realized that there was no escaping this one. I wave as the group comes over and Amber hugs me. "Bro, I didn't know you were coming here. I could have taken you instead of mom dropping you off." She says confused. I tell her that it's fine and asked what she was doing here....and by her, of course I meant everyone. "It's couples night and I'm with Andi silly."

"But Cyrus is totally fifth wheeling right now" I mumble to her confused.
"Is he?" Amber says smiling while whispering into my ear "I know you like him. You're welcome." Before telling everyone to break off into pairs and head to the rink. Eventually, it was just Cyrus and I.

"Well that was quick" he said and I laughed. Cyrus was my math tutor after Buffy couldn't help me and anything platonic with him eventually started fading. We've almost kissed once too but that's a story for another day.

"I know right. It's like they knew or something." I said and then mentally cursed when Cyrus asked "Knew what?". "Knew that I wanted you as my partner." I said and Cyrus smirked. "You wanted me as your partner on couples night?".

Is he trying to make this more difficult than it needs to be?

"Reed and Lester are together and they are friends, why couldn't we?" I played off and Cyrus agreed but looked a little sad when I said it. I think I'm imagining things though. After Cyrus laced up his skates, he looks like he's going to hurl.

"Nervous?" I asked and Cyrus nodded. "I don't want to embarrass myself in front of my friends and..." And? Is he waiting on someone? I thought Amber said she knew. "Everyone else. Yeah that's what I mean. Strangers...cause that would kinda suck." He laughed nervously.

Well, he wasn't wrong.

"If it helps, you can hold my hand. I'm not too bad at skating so I shouldn't fall." I say coolly and Cyrus perks up. "Thanks T. Let's go."

I help him get his balance and we enter the rink. We start off slowly and as I glance around, everyone in the group is smiling or pointing at us or giving me a thumbs up. I roll my eyes but Cyrus doesn't seem to notice. He trips twice but says that this feels "exhilarating" and wants to keep going. I snort before agreeing. He's so...Cyrus and I like that about him.

As the song changes to a faster one, I asked if he wanted to stay and he agreed to as long as I held his hand.

No complaints there. This is probably the closest I'm ever going to get. Might as well enjoy it

Towards the end of the song, a guy that looks to be our age trips. He lands badly on his ankle.

Not to my surprise, Cyrus let go of my hand and quickly skated over to help him and to call someone over. As Cyrus left to get a mini stool for the him, it dawns on me.

There's no way someone can be that good their first day of skating to different places with ease. Especially when he was tripping earlier. 

After Cyrus helps the employee move the guy to the benches on the rink, I noticed the guy put his hand on Cyrus' knee and smiled at him. Cyrus didn't seem to be pulling it away so I took it as a sign that maybe that's what that fate thing was that Reed and Lester were talking about. He truly did find someone at the rink. Why do I think these type of things would work out for me?

As I go to take my skates off, Cyrus skates by me slowly and awkwardly before sitting on the bench with me. He asked me why I was taking my skates off.

"I'm heading home. Everyone is coupled up and I just feel weird at this point." I say simply, going for my right skate to untie when Cyrus puts a hand on my shoulder. I freeze. "You're my partner though" he says softly and shake my head. 

"I think someone literally fell for you." I say while Cyrus looks at me in confusion. "The guy had his hand on your leg Cy. Come on." I mumble. Cyrus quietly laughed before speaking. "Though Daniel did say he thought he was glad I washelping him, emphasis on the I, I said that I already had my eyes set on someone else here."

"Well go talk to that person then." I said. How much more can he rub this in my face?
"I'm talking to you right now."
"That's what I mean. Go find-" I say while standing up but Cyrus pulled me back.
"TJ, I don't know how much more obvious I can make this. Did you not even notice we've been holding hands this entire time?" He asks. I look down to see our hands intertwined.

"It felt so...natural. I didn't notice." I say sitting back down while blushing a bit. I got quiet for a second and looked at Cyrus while he was already looking at me.

"So you pretended not to know how to skate because..." I trailed off, waiting for Cyrus to fill in the blank to see if I was right.

"I wanted to see how you'd feel holding my hand. I wasn't sure how you felt after the almost kiss. That was the only opportunity I thought I would have so I took it." He said looking kinda hurt. I regret pulling away to this day.
"I'm sorry about that. We were at school, I was scared we were going to get caught but I was even more scared that you wouldn't like me or call it a one time thing...and that would have really hurt." I say, running a hand through my hair.

"I promise you, it's not a one time thing. I...like you." Cyrus says softly.

"I...like you too." I said smiling.

As if the DJ knew, a romantic song comes on. It was couples night so maybe not. I'm going to say he knew cause that made the moment ten times more amazing. I ask Cyrus to skate again except this time, I wanted from this point on for him to be skating as my boyfriend and Cyrus happily agreed.

In your face Daniel.

And if he ended up rollerskating into my heart that night, I'd tell you yes in a heartbeat. If anyone asks me if there was a kiss...

Well....that's a secret I'll never tell.

\\\\\fin/////

Thank you for reading! There is a note next so if you could read it, I would appreciate it! It involves you, the reader!

Thank you so much!

Socials

Twitter: @ DAhnaTomlinson

Insta: @ MomentsbyMitchell