Chapter 1 The Past

It all started on a rainy April day. My family and I were going to Colorado for a family vacation. We've been driving for hours on end. Stoping at every gas station with in a new town about 2 hours in between the last. Every stop the same. Stop, get gas, go to the restroom, and eat. However one stop changed my life forever.

We pulled into an old gas station that was in the middle of no where. My father got out of the car to fill our car up with gas. My mother ask me and my brother James if we needed to go to the bathroom. "I do!" I responded. Man did I need to use the bath room. My mom gave me permission to go and I raced to the bathroom.

I was washing my hands and all the sudden I heard my mom screaming and a loud crashing noise. I ran out of the bathroom and a couple seconds later I was blown off my feet in the opposite direction. My head hits the wall behind me hard and everything goes pitch black.
~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~
I wake up lying on the ground. I slowly sit up in pain. My hands instantly go to my head. I felt something wet and let my hands fall slowly in front of my eyes. To my horror it was blood. I quickly looked next to me and found a pool of blood. I panic. "Mom!..." I yell. "Dad!..." I yell also. "James!..." I got no reply. I start to cry.

I slowly drag my self up and use the wall for support. I take a look around and noticed how messy it was. Food and drinks were everywhere . Glass covered the floor like snow. Outside the shop was the remains off two cars and several gas pumps. I cry out to my family again. I waited there for ten minutes. Calling out to them in hope I would get an answer. But I didn't.

I limped slowly to the exist of what use to be a gas station to find my families bodies lying there burned and dismembered from the explosion. I drop to my knees and sobbed for hours. Until someone was shaking my shoulder. I jumped and pushed their hand away from me.

"Get away from me!" I yelled as tears streamed down my cheeks. "It's ok...it's ok...I'm here to help." He says reassuring me. I rub my eyes free from tears to see a police officer kneeling down next to me. "What happened?" He asked while he rubbed my back in circles.

"My mom...my dad...my brother...their dead." I said as I lifted my arm and pointed to their dead body's. The officer followed my finger and saw the bodies. He stands up and walks away for about five minutes and comes back this time he's kneeling in front of me.

"What's your name sweetie?" He said in a calm tone. I reply flatly with a simple, "Sadie."
He asked me my age and I told him I was 15. I told him what I remembered before I was knocked out unconscious and when I finished 5 police cars showed up with paramedics following right behind them. I get rushed to the ambulance and they bandaged me up.

I was then taken to a police station for more questioning. "You have any relatives we can contact?" One of the ladies asked me. My head was down. "No...my grandparents were murdered and my other relatives disappeared years ago."