Early Spring

The wind under your wings does most of the work as you glide through the air in the direction of your home. Spring was just warming up and you were getting back into the groove of flying again. So even though you were happy, your body felt exhausted from flying from flower to flower most of the day.

You notice a few of your nocturnal neighbors exiting their homes, most likely having woken up not that long ago. Some of them looked familiar as you had seen them before on days you had also stayed out later than usual. The ones who recognized you waved as you passed by.

Dusk was quickly fading, but with the skies clear you weren't too worried about not being able to navigate your way back, however, you picked up your pace anyways.

Before you knew it, the soft light off the moon began to cascade over the forest floor. Naturally, your eyes drift towards a group of flowers you had flown by many times but had never seen bloom.

When you realize the petals of the flowers are unraveled, you don't give a second thought before flying towards the funnel shaped flower. You weren't that far from home anyways.

The moment your feet land on the edge of the curled petals, you're hit by the rich fragrance of the flower.

You already drank a decent amount today but what's the harm in a night time "snack". You could also take some nectar back with you. Who knew when you would get to see this flower bloom again?

You carefully crawl head first into the flower holding your arms out to the sides to prevent yourself from falling completely in. Using your bottom right arm, you grab one of your empty canisters at your hip to gather some of the flower's nectar..

After you've had your fill and saved some to take home, you pull yourself out. Your eyes widen slightly when you realize how much darker it's gotten. And now that you were too full, you felt even more sluggish.

While you contemplate if you could find a flower nearby to sleep in the petals of, the shadow of something above moves past you.

You flinch and shuffle a back into the petals.

What was that?

You sit in the flower for a minute before moving out to peak out behind it. Although you were curious, this could obviously be something dangerous.

Your eyes search the area until it lands on a bug standing on a flower similar to yours. You had seen moths before albeit rarely as most were nocturnal, but this was the first you'd seen up close.

They were somewhat alike to yourself--four arms, two legs, similar wings--but they were devoid of any bright colors and looked much more...fluffy. Their antennae was much bigger than any butterfly you'd ever seen too.

The intensity of your stare must have been enough to be tangible because the moth's gaze turns directly towards you.

Their eyes quite literally glowed and you struggle to look away.

They didn't look hostile but that didn't stop you from hiding within the flower again. Staring at others wasn't exactly polite no matter how districting you found them.

You wait a couple seconds before peeking again. Part of you wanted to leave but your more curious one was winning over. It's not like you could make a quick escape with your limited vision anyway.

It looked like they were going to gather nectar too.

"Isn't it late for butterflies to be out?"

The sudden noise almost made you jump. His gaze was still on the flower he was on, but he must have been talking to you.

He was right, you shouldn't be out here. But there's all sorts of things that snacked on butterflies out here that you wouldn't notice until it was too late. Along with that, your curiosity wasn't sated yet.