Prologue

(M/N)'s POV

No one tells you when you go abroad that you'll meet vampires, let alone that vampires are real and watching you every day of your life! And when one goes to Italy for a vacation after graduating college, one definitely doesn't expect to fall in love with one, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I stared out of one of the many massive open palace windows and watched the tiny ants walk the streets about twelve feet below me, wondering where my man was and why he left without telling me. Now that I thought about it, I hadn't seen the other High Guard members since I'd woken up alone in mine and Felix's bed that morning; where were they? Maybe Lord Aro sent them and Felix out on a last-minute mission to deal with a rogue, since those types of missions were apparently Felix's favorite (don't ask how I know that, because that will become clear a lot later, reader). By now, however, I'd learned that wherever Felix is and goes, Demetri, Jane, and Alec are always close by; it's very rare I see Felix alone due to not being with me sans clothing or otherwise. Since none of them were anywhere to be seen as I glanced behind me when I thought I'd felt a pair of eyeballs watching me, that seemed like the logical explanation.

As I watched the many vampires cross in front of me after I leaned against a marble support beam and sunk to the marble ground below, I heard above me, "I'm so sorry you didn't see him, (MN). He wanted me to tell you he was so sorry, and these are his words, that he didn't get to quote "ravish you while you dreamed" end quote. And no, I'm not repeating myself if you didn't hear it the first time, so don't ask!"

Chuckling, I looked up and met the signature red eyes of Heidi with her arms crossed in front of her and a very sour look on her face; I guessed she also missed Jane as much as I missed Felix, and those two weren't dating! I sighed and asked, "Why didn't he leave me a note, Heidi? Did Aro not want him to when he left?" Heidi didn't answer at first, and my heart almost sunk when she kept staring at me. I straightened up and asked again, "Why didn't he leave a note, Heidi?" She didn't answer me, and I continued staring her down without really thinking about what I could say to get something out of her. Heidi shrugged and I groaned, "Well, if you won't tell me, then I'll just go miss my man in our room. Good day." I didn't let her speak as I walked toward mine and Felix's shared room.

When I finally entered the room, I flopped face-first onto the massive bed and groaned again at not being able to see Felix and hug him and do...unsavory things to Felix's body. While I lay there, I flashed back to how I'd met Felix and how our crazy relationship started. You want to know the story? Well, strap in, get a drink and snack, and hang tight. This is the story of how I, a human man fresh out of college, started dating a member of the Volturi High Guard.