The Hangout Café: El Principio

It was a bleak evening for Norma, as there weren't many customers for the Hangout Café lately. It's been over a decade since Norma started running that place and at first, the café was never not busy, but with time things changed, the Hangout Café, started losing its customers to various online food delivery platforms, and now, it was left with very few loyal customers.

It's not like Norma entirely despised online services she on contrary had tied up with a quite few to help her in business and it did for some extent, but they could never match the delight of seeing a new customer in the café's doorsteps; Norma missed them, she missed watching couples on a date; she missed the kids, their tantrums, the joy in their face when their order arrives; She missed the meeting and interacting with new people. Online services could never replace these things; After all, there could be no Hangout Café without people hanging out there. But at least she had a few loyal customers, who visited her café often to the extent that she had grown fond of them. But even this was momentary, as in a matter of a few days, there would be no Hangout Café.

It was just a week ago when Norma received the legal notice saying she has to close her café and hand over the property as she wasn't able to repay her debt. At first, she never delayed paying the monthly installments, but over time, the café's expenses became too much to pay her debts. She implored the bank to render her some more time, but they avidly declined something which Norma suspected to be orchestrated by her father. She was broke, but yet still decided to keep the café running until the last day.

That evening after she closed the café, Norma distributed the leftovers among a few homeless men who slept on the benches. They have been on those benches for years now, and they were good friends with Norma, who at times provided them with food, blankets, etc.

After she was done with distributing the leftovers Norma sat by the fountain, helping herself with a Candybar when Karl said, 'You keep giving what's yours to others, and left with nothing for yourself. Now how can anyone expect you to pay the bills.' He was standing behind her wearing his favorite overcoat.

'You don't understand Karl, just look at them how happy they are to get some food to eat. Trust me, Karl, if you can make someone smile even for a moment you will find joy greater than anything. I wonder what would happen to them when I am gone.'

'That means rumors are true. You are leaving.', said Karl. He seemed utterly dejected.

'Yup.', Norma said, 'Why are you standing, come. Sit.' Norma slid herself to make space for Karl to sit. Karl sat there, and Norma offered him the spare Candybar.

'Vanilla! I love this flavor. You knew I was coming, didn't you?' Karl asked.

'Well Karl, I know you better than you know yourself.', Norma gushed.

'Yea, you do. Then what next, after you leave this place?'

'Back to dad.', Norma sighed, 'I see nothing else to do.'

Karl placed his hand on her and said, 'You can always come to me.'

'No Karl, I don't want to bother you.', Norma replied.

'Norma, there's no bother.', Karl said,

Norma placed her hand against his mouth and said, 'Stop right there. I know you don't mean it, Karl. So please don't do it for pity, you don't have to. Listen, Karl, you are my friend. I know you since we were what? 8... I guess. You are my best friend Karl, so I can understand. And I am having a splendid night with my friend, relishing on this wonderful Candybar and old memories. Please don't make it complicated or weird.'

Karl smiled and said, 'Okay...' Norma smiled back.

Both were silent for a few seconds, and then Karl spoke, 'Why don't you ask your dad for help? He is a money man. I don't see any problem for him paying off your debts.'