Chapter 1: Happy 10th

"Does it count as a surprise if we already know?"

"They don't know we know . . . so shut up!"

"Don't be mean . . ."

"She's coming, shut it."

Ronia Tyric opened the car door and smiled at her children, setting a bag down in the seat next to them. They smiled back, the car awkwardly silent. Jay looked at her twin brother, Jayce.

"Today's a special day," Ronia announced.

Jay smiled, "I'm 10."

"Yeah. Double digits," Jayce added.

There was another awkward silence.

"Well, I'm ready to go home," Jay winked at her mother.

Noting the wink, Ronia squinted. "Is there something going on that I don't know about?"

Jayce elbowed his sister. "No, mom. Nothing at all."

She nodded slowly, clearly unconvinced.

"What's in the bag?"

Ronia huffed. "A cake . . . but I might take it back. I saw a lemon one that cost much less."

Jay looked horrified. She hated lemon cake and Jayce was allergic. But her mom liked lemon. She looked at Jayce, expecting his face to mirror the horror on hers. It didn't. Jayce looked clam, smug almost. Contented with the thought of his mom buying him a poison cake. Ronia hummed as she started the car and drove them home.

The house was a single story, made of cozy brick. It was the color of rust, with large windows covered by pale blue curtains. They had a two car garage and a long driveway.

"Is Dad not home yet?"asked Jayce, immediately noticing the absence of his father's car.

Ronia looked genuinely surprised. "No. Doesn't look like he is."

Her phone buzzed. Looking at the message, her face darkened. The twins looked at each other.

"Mom . . . ?" The concern in Jay's voice was palpable.

Ronia nodded, not fully noticing her daughter's call.

"Humm?" she turned and, noticing the concerned looks of her children, donned a happy smile. "Nothing's the matter. Mommy's gonna go inside for a moment. I need you two to stay here."

Thinking for a moment, she grabbed a small gift box from the glove compartment and handed it to Jayce.

"Hold onto this for me. Don't open it yet."

Jay and Jayce nodded. Their mom got out the car and jogged to the front door. She took something out of her pocket and pressed herself against the side of the door. Taking a breath, she knocked four times.

"What's she doing?" asked Jayce.

Jay shrugged, as confused as her brother. She tapped her brother. Jayce turned to look.

"What's that?"

He turned to what Jay was pointing to, a red light that was blinking faster and faster.

"Jacye . . . I'm scared."

With the last knock, Ronia opened the door, shoving it open without a key. The moment she ran inside, someone kicked her into the couch. She stood quickly, facing her assalent. Two more appeared behind the first one.

"For a second there, I thought you were gonna make this easy."

She rushed at one, easily ducking his strike to leg sweep another. The man whose strike she dodged jumped over her leg, coming down hard in an attempt to land on it. Ronia moved her leg, barely managing to roll away from the woman's heeled shoe trying to stomp her face. The three were working in perfect tandem, each one covering for each other, pressing Ronia. She fought well, mostly on the defensive, but periodically landing nasty attacks. They were well trained, but Ronia was too. 25 years of LOS training made it so even a jump of three skilled fighters was to be expected. The man punched at her face, stopping just before the blow connected. Ronia kicked him away, and his two female counterparts jumped back with him. They moved as one, seeming to disappear into thin air. Ronia tucked a strand of curly hair behind her ear.

Something exploded, the force shaking the house. Ronia flew back, landing hard.

"What the . . ." her face fell with understanding. "NO!"

She sprinted outside, willing her legs to carry her faster, faster . . . and she stared at the remains of the SUV, her children nowhere in sight.